What's new

NECA Meeting Today!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm off to the Northeast Carwash assoc. meeting in a few minutes.

Maybe I'll see some of you there!

I'll post tomorrow about what I learned, who I saw, etc. Let the good times roll!!!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go NECA!!!

The NECA meeting was a good time and I'm glad I went.

I met an insurance guy I plan to call, and did some networking with other folks in the biz.

I got a few good ideas to implement to improve my business, which is great!

The main thrust of the meeting was the importance of knowing how to affect change that can take place within State government which can negatively impact your business. By being proactive, NECA was able to hire lobbyists to change what would have been a very financially detrimental regulation for carwashes. The regulation, as originally drafted, was to require carwashes with reclaim to hold, in escrow, a certain amount of money to repair their wastewater treatment equipment in the event of a malfunction. The numbers suggested were $150-200,000 (yes~$200K!) an operator would've had to keep in escrow. And also, operators would've been subject to regular testing of said equipment at a substantial expense to the operator.

However, the language was changed and these requirements were removed due to the work of the lobbyists. Good work, NECA, for noticing these upcoming rules before they were made permanent as well as taking swift action to hire lobbyists to help bring about a very positive result for our industry!

soapy

Reaction score
This shows that the regional associations do far more than just put on trade shows. Monitoring and effecting legislation is a big part of what they do. By working on all this other stuff that comes up they enable carwashes to stay in business so they can buy from the vendors that support the shows and benefit the owners who pay in the yearly membership fees.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
This is another example of morons in office that couldn't earn a living on a bet, making ridiculous laws/rules for the businessman, that guarantee their failure. I think after this election we will see a lot more of it. There are politicians that believe that only they and the government know what to do to make our lives just one happy vacation.