What's new

nayax vs cryptopay

Strava

Reaction score
Is there a single metric where Cryptopay is better than Nayax? I've searched the forums here and I see that cryptopay is popular for meter boxes, but I cant see what they do better than Nayax. Can someone ELI5 for me.

OurTown

Reaction score
I'll speculate a few things because we do not have Nayax. Just looking at the readers they look too fragile for a self serve bay and I doubt they have much resistance to presoak or tire cleaner. The Cryptopay swipers were designed for car wash bays. I don't know about Nayax but Cryptopay customer service is excellent. (Worldpay sucks though) Another thing is fees and they are each structured different. We are right at 4.9% with Cryptopay/Worldpay all in fees. The info on the web I could find for Nayax was $7.95 per month per modem (I assume that is each reader) plus 2.5% + $.10/ transaction fee. I do see a lot of advantages over Cryptopay though and would love to hear from others what their all in fees really are with Nayax. Also how well the readers hold up in bays.

SuperShine

Reaction score
The Nayax VPOS Touch units are pretty much bomb proof. I wondered as well. I have them on all of my vacs and vending machines. (no coin anymore on those) and haven’t touched a Nayax reader in over a year. I’ve replaced a couple externally wired stop buttons though. Necessary to have because in count up mode for the vacs, sometimes the red X on the Nayax touch screen won’t register a press (common issue) so the external stop button is needed.

I’m just about to order a 1000 customized tap cards for my fleet accounts and employees. It will be nice to stop needing to re-card fleet accounts when their cards de-mag.

Online reports through Nayax can be a bit overwhelming as there’s a ton of data to sort through. It would be nice if they streamlined their interface and data options to be tailored more for the region and country they’re installed in.
Rates are very competitive but will depend on who you purchased the Nayax units through and what processor they use.

SoakZone

Reaction score
Our experience with Nayax has been a headache due to the fact that they won't work all the time with cards. Our own "fleet/loyalty cards" work 100%. We've been told by our supplier that it is due to the fact that the banks have different restrictions on number of taps/day, $$ limits per tap/chip insert. Also, the Nayax VPOS we have on our 14 stations do not have a pin pad where the customer can reset their chip with their PIN.

A real frustrating part of it is our IBA. PDQ 360 Plus paired with a Kesseltronics touchscreen and a Nayax VPOS. Last 2 weeks about 40% of customers pay, but don't get the arrow to proceed into the wash/doesn't activate the wash. We've been fighting with the suppliers since we've opened.

Any other systems out there, especially for and IBA that isn't Nayax or Cryptopay?

SuperShine

Reaction score
Dencar is the way forward for unattended UWC and credit cards/ cash. They’re still testing their Canadian solution so it may be a while. Reach out to them and tell them Mike from Vancouver referred you and maybe we can speed up development.

mngoalie

Reaction score
Rates are very competitive but will depend on who you purchased the Nayax units through and what processor they use.
Where did you purchase from and what kind of rates do you have? No-one seems to mention that..

Blanco

Reaction score
Crytopay is the way to go. Nayax sucks. I bought 19 nayax swipers on new vacs I bought and have probably replaced 14 of them. Some more than once. ALL WITHIN LESS THAN 1 YEAR! Oh and get this the new swipers I purchased that did not work right from the get go were replaced with refurbished units from nayax not new units. I used to think crypto pay was bad because of the pre authorization charge which is why I switched to Nayax. Bad move on my part. Lesson learned. I realized I rather have people complain about a pre auth charge than have a swiper not work at all even if it effects my business reviews which sucks. Cryptopays website is way more user friendly as well as offering way more options like fleet account, attendant cards, and other services. Im going to be switching my vacs back to cryptopay. Thank god I never switched all my bays. Ive had the same crypto swipers in my bays for 8 years. Never had a issue. There definitely built for the car wash environment. Hope this helps.

SuperShine

Reaction score
That’s crazy. What issues were you having with the Nayax that caused you to replace them? Were they VPOS touch units?
My four have been solid for over a year aside from a couple externally wired stop buttons
Thanks

Last edited:

Blanco

Reaction score
Yes they were all the VPOS Touch Units. Most of them the chip part of the card reader would not work. If you insert a chip card it would just say transaction cancelled. Would spend hours on the phone with those guys trying to change settings in them but It would never work. They would always end up sending out replacements. Couple of them were sending a constant signal to the coin pulse on my timer which would put my vacs out of service regardless if a customer used coin or credit. Once the timer would get that constant pulse after say a customer inserts their first coin it would display COIN on the timer display and wouldn't let anything happen because the pulse was not released. Most recently I had one that completely died as if it had no power. Still waiting to receive my replacement for that one. Glad you had some luck with them cause I definitely haven't.

SuperShine

Reaction score
Yes they were all the VPOS Touch Units. Most of them the chip part of the card reader would not work. If you insert a chip card it would just say transaction cancelled. Would spend hours on the phone with those guys trying to change settings in them but It would never work. They would always end up sending out replacements. Couple of them were sending a constant signal to the coin pulse on my timer which would put my vacs out of service regardless if a customer used coin or credit. Once the timer would get that constant pulse after say a customer inserts their first coin it would display COIN on the timer display and wouldn't let anything happen because the pulse was not released. Most recently I had one that completely died as if it had no power. Still waiting to receive my replacement for that one. Glad you had some luck with them cause I definitely haven't.
That sounds frustrating for sure. I’m all cards, no coin on my vacs so that may help their stability. I do recall mine were a bit of a nightmare to set up. I spent about 3 months trying different firmware versions. Finally found a relatively stable one. Once every couple months I’ll have one just stop accepting cards randomly and it won’t text or notify me when they’re down. Either a customer calls me or I have to check on the App to see the status and do a reboot. I think I’ll go with Hamilton DTTs Cc chip and pin readers for my bay upgrades when they turn off mag strip reads next year (Canadian thing)

Strava

Reaction score
Ugg, info overload. I can't make up my mind on which to go with. I don't care for how Cryptopay looks black & two pieces. I like how Nayax stands out, is one piece, and has a color touchscreen, with voice interaction. Nayax seems more modern to me.

The first upgrade that I was going to do was add one of them to my two vacs. @ SuperShine would you mind sharing pictures of your Nayax equipped vacs?

Randy

Reaction score
You have other options. About 6 years ago one of the car wash operators here put a USA Technologies ePort G10 card reader on the of his Hamilton bill changer that dispenses tokens, he didn’t want to go to the expense of putting card readers in every bay. It has worked so well that other operators have done the same thing. USA Technologies has changed their name to Cantaloupe in April. https://www.cantaloupe.com/eport-g10-pulse-kit/

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Pros and cons in my humble opinion over the years. I started out with Eports/USA technologys in 2011 and they where good new but if it was overcast at all the searching for cell signal was a common issue then the readers went to crap literally deteriorating from chemicals several years later i hope nayax has improved. Then cryptopay hits the scene and i installed them However my #1 Complaint is the Multiple Multiple swipes the customer has to do no matter how clean the readers are 1 year later ect there terrible. There readers suck just a tad bit better than eports. The absolute best credit card readers i have used as a customer is the Carolina Pride ones you swipe one time and bam its authorizing just like a Paystation its just a shame CP you have to but there proprietary readers & timers. Etowah valleys CC readers are the same way swipe 1 time and its gonna process it but you got to have his timers also to work together. I don't know why Cryptopay cant make a better reader Dual sided self serve reader also would make a world of difference i hope they are reading this from a real operators standpoint. I couldn't imagine having Crypto on a Automatic pay station the drive offs for customers cards would be mind blowing.

Randy

Reaction score
If you’re trying to use Nayax and the ePort in the self serve wash bays they are going to fail. They aren’t designed to be used in a wet environment, that’s why we put on the front of a bill changer. Originally they were designed to be used on a vending machine. A couple a operators have put a Cryptopay reader on the bill changer to dispense tokens.

Strava

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. Are you saying that cryptopay is less likely to fail in wet ss bays? I wonder if https://shop.nayax.com/usa_en/protective-box.html would help with the wet bays.

If you’re trying to use Nayax and the ePort in the self serve wash bays they are going to fail. They aren’t designed to be used in a wet environment, that’s why we put on the front of a bill changer. Originally they were designed to be used on a vending machine. A couple a operators have put a Cryptopay reader on the bill changer to dispense tokens.

Randy

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. Are you saying that cryptopay is less likely to fail in wet ss bays? I wonder if https://shop.nayax.com/usa_en/protective-box.html would help with the wet bays.
Cryptopay will probably last longer than the other readers. I don'tthink that protective cover will last very long at a car wash before someone decides to break it off.
On a side note. A operator here installed Cryptopay last Monday, over the this weekend the bad guys shoved a prybar into the card swipe slot and broke every reader except for one. On that remaining reader they installed a card skimmer.