What's new

My own plow truck

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Many of you may know that I'm a d.i.y. type operator.

Last year I used a trusty old GMC S-15 pickup to plow my lot.

Today we're ripping the bed off to get at a gas line leak. The bed was rusty, so we'll leave it off I think.

Plowing my own lot is a definite money saver for us and there are great deals on 4x4 trucks now so it may make sense for your wash, too, if you get snow like we do!:D

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Today we're ripping the bed off to get at a gas line leak. The bed was rusty, so we'll leave it off I think.
I wouldn't throw it away just yet. Taking that weight off the back of the truck will probably have a big effect on traction.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are right. The back is way way too light now. Searching junkyard today for a better one!

bigleo48

Reaction score
Guys,

I put a plow on my pickup a couple of years ago to plow my wash, my home driveway and another property. First year we came within 2" of a record snow fall season. It seemed I plowed all winter, but it paid for itself in the first year! Gave up on the other property even though they paid me $200 per. Too busy.

I like to have the first plowed lot of all my competitors and done to my liking. What is also very nice is the ability to scrape the bays of slush, snow and ice "as we go". Especially in the late winter, it seems the bays need scraping after almost every car with everyone kicking off the accumulated ice on the rocker panels.

I trained my wife to plow and now she does it (and seems to like it). She grabs a big insulated mug of coffee, has the dog for company and the sat radio to her favorite channel, and plows the lot while my attendant does the trim work with the snow blower.

Cheers...Big

Jeff_L

Reaction score
bigleo - that's a good wife. Mine would rather stand at the door, sip her hot cocoa, and watch me do the driveway.

I put a BOSS V Plow on last year, it was pricey, but well worth it. I can get into the tight spots, scoop snow, and put it darn near wherever I want it to go. I used to cringe everytime it snowed knowing I'd have to pay someone to clear it, now I love it when it snows because I think of all the fun!

Another advantage to plowing your own is that you can do it as often and WHEN you want to do it. Seems before the plow guys wanted to do my lots AFTER they were done with everyone else so they could wash up their truck afterwards.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Jeff,

I have a customer who has that very plow and he was showing me the scooping function...way cool!

I only have a small 1/2 ton truck...so maybe one day if I got a 3/4 ton I would look at that plow. It would be fun to work with for sure!

Big

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now I'm thinking of making a flat bed for my S-15.

We'll see.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Snow Plowing

Plowing your own lot makes a ton of sense: saves big bucks, limits damage from the pros who's time is money and what else can you with those conditions?
Been doing mine for the last 15 years and am now looking for a replacement rig. The best part is having it in the driveway at home. Never a concern about how much comes down.
Can get boring, but what doesn't with repetition.
Cheers,
MC