What's new

My New D&S i5000s: First Impressions

Etowah

Red Baron

Reaction score
My 2 new i5000s have been in for about a week and here are my first impressions:

PROs
* I like them!
* Faster than my old 5000
* Tons of options for recipe and wash adjustments
* Touchscreen feature make it really easy to count washes, time each wash, etc.
* Simpler than the 5000 (fewer hoses, no pulleys & belts)
* The new pump stands are laid out realy nice - I actually have more room in my ER with 2 units than I had with the old D&S unit.
* The new wall-maount tiny hydraulic units are very cool and take up a lot less space and are in a better/unused area (the wall).

CONs
* Side spinners are adjusted by bending the tips - seems like threaded ends would be better.
* Cat pump releases head pressure at end of wash, blowing presoak water onto back of clean car thru undercarriage bar. We flipped the nozzles from pointing to the front, to pointing to the rear to eliminate this but now they drench my camera and the bay ceiling...under just the wrong conditions I can envision this causing a heavy accumulation of ice which could fall on a car and/or pull down my Extrutech ceiling panels...thoughts on this would be appreciated.
* Gantry lids are bolted on. Scratches to the powerder coat finish while removed bolts are inevitable over time...I'll replace with some kind of hand-twist fastener.
* Small stainless ramps that cover the undercarriage bar causes cars to spin and not advance, and of course a percentage of them are too stupid to know to back up a foot then continue over the slight ramp, rather they just sit there and spin until someone with an IQ over 50 tells them how to get off the ramps. I improved this some by drilling in a series of self-tapping screws to act as studs to grip their tires.

The cons being longer than the pros, don't read too much into that; I think I'm going to like the i5000s, and, I'm washing a lot more cars with 2 IBAs now as opposed to just 1.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Also, the new i5000s came with a bay wash-down setup that uses the Cat pump and a separate quick-connect hose and large nozzled wand. It's pretty cool - EXTREMELY POWERFUL, WEARS OUT YOUR WRIST IN ABOUT 10 MINUTES. I'm finding that it's too much pressure for the job and I'm blowing mud/debris from one side of the bay to the other, right past the pit. I'll play with a larger tip on the wand to make the pressure more usable. I have some 8040s that we use in our roofing spray rigs, that might do the trick.

MEP001

Reaction score
You could put a bypass regulator on that line to return some of the pressure back to the tank and reduce the pressure. I have a separate wash-down pump for the auto bay and lot, and I put two regulators and a ball valve isolating one regulator for that very reason. I can wash down an acre of lot in 45 minutes with the higher setting and rinse the flat auto bay floor easily with the lower setting.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Good ide, MEP.

I've answered my first question about the viability of converting my open bay to an IBA and putting in 2 i5000s. That questions was, will there be enough new business to justify the cost. One week does not a trend make, but we're doing a lot more business and word isn't fully out yet that the new bay is open. Our 1 time IBA record car count was set on a long summer day last year - we came just 2 cars short of that record yesterday on a short cool Fall day.

Reaction score
Do you have two i5000's or your old 5000 and 1 new one? folks in burnet sure like the 5000 which is now 10 years old!!! still does a good job....