What's new

my magnet fell off in your wash

Reaction score
Who came up with these freakin magnets, what a pain in the a**.I cant tell you how many phone calls a day I get about a magnet that came off in the wash.If your magnet means soo much to you then take it off before you go thru thru the wash.Should I post a sign?

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
In my business (Reclaim Systems) I visit a lot of car washes for set-up and training. It's amazes me at how many magnets the owner's have collected. They usually have them on their equipment room door. Distributor's service trucks usually have a lot in them too.

A few washes I've been to just put the magnets up on a steel door or electrical panel so revisiting customers can see them. You could do this and tell those that call in to check the door to see if their lost magnet is there. Kind of like a magnet lost and found.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
why would anyone buy them anymore; just grab one for free while you're at the carwash. Goes perfectly with the dumping free trash mentality!

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Magnet problem

We routinely remove support magnets and magnetic signs as we prep and give them to the customers clean and dry for safe keeping. It doesn't take much effort and goes a long way towards a positive experience. The ribbons can also be place around a rear antenna or partially tucked behind the license plate.

If your wash is so busy that this step hurts production, good on you and have the greeter take care of it. Either way, it's the extra service that will set you apart.

MC

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I have to agree with MC. My wife came home after having her car washed last week and was very upset when she realized her "I Love My YorkiePoo" magnet missing. I asked her if she had gone back to the wash to see if they had it. (Of course she hadn't but I had to ask. I actually think she likes the dog more than me but that's another story.) She said no and we went back to the wash together. I explained the situation to the operator. He stopped the conveyor, went into the tunnel and came out with four or five magnets one of which was my wife's. She was thrilled. As we drove home my wife said "They certainly seem to take off a lot of magnets. I wonder why they don't take those off before the wash. I didn't think it would come off. When I come with the suburban they take off the antenna and tape the back wiper. Why don't they do the same with magnets?"

While I commend the operator, I wonder how much better it might have been if they would have removed the magnet before the wash and given it to my wife. It certainly would have seemed to be much more professional.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
We try and remove as many as possible, but even then we miss a few. Sometimes they are so old and dryed out that when you try to remove them, they just crumble into pieces.

Reaction score
If we were to remove every magnet from every car I would probably have to hire a magnet person, its out of hand.I have removed magnets that actually took the paint off of the vehicle.I should probably make up a bulletin about how bad magnets are for paint finishes.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Would it be plausible to ask the customer if they wanted their magnet removed?