What's new

My Letter To The Editor

Red Baron

Reaction score
In my 13 years in the car wash business I have never written a letter like this. Spur's Lee Kidd came through my automatic wash bay this week and his mirror was damaged by the spinning nozzles. Lee insisted that it was his fault for not folding in his mirror, but I wanted to help pay for the damage because we have no signs that say to fold in your mirrors (we do now). Lee would have none of it -- he insisted that it was his fault and therefore he would pay to have the mirror repaired.

Most of our customers are good people, but we are also exposed to those who mirror a society that seems to be losing its way. We have experienced attempts to squeeze a few bucks out of us for a dent that a car already had before it entered our car wash. Thankfully our security cameras always save us from these opportunists, but it's a shame that a guy has to keep his guard up all the time.

So, it was nice for a change to have someone that had a legitimate reason ask for money -- as was the case with Lee -- but who refused it on principle.

Tim Adams
Red Baron Car Wash
Idalou, Tx.
www.redbaroncarwash.com

MEP001

Reaction score
We're lucky that many of our customers are also like that. The vast majority of phone calls we get when there's a problem are more of the "I just wanted to let you know" rather than "I want a refund." A lot don't even leave information to get back to them. I can recall one false damage claim (The "Your foam brush scratched my car" one I posted about) and one who claimed he'd lost $5 in two bays.

A lot of the customers we get back to are usually surprised they got a return call. They've said that none of the other washes in town will ever return their messages.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I agree, majority of the callers just want to inform me of something. First thing I try to do is refund their money 100%, which usually sets the tone for the rest of the conversation. If any vendor did that for me, you can bet I'd return to buy more. Takes the risk out of the purchase.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
From my experience those operators that feel all their customers are jerks tend to be one themselves or at least treat their customers like they are one. As has been pointed out by several guys here, if you give them a good product and treat them fairly, at least most of the time they will respond in a positive fashion if they have a problem at the wash. Then again, some people are jerks and no one can satisfy them.

Good operators try to be objective about the problems a customer faced and act accordingly. Just as one cannot assume the customers are wrong all the time they also cannot assume they as the operator are always right.

Red Baron

Reaction score
From my experience those operators that feel all their customers are jerks tend to be one themselves or at least treat their customers like they are one. As has been pointed out by several guys here, if you give them a good product and treat them fairly, at least most of the time they will respond in a positive fashion if they have a problem at the wash. Then again, some people are jerks and no one can satisfy them.

Good operators try to be objective about the problems a customer faced and act accordingly. Just as one cannot assume the customers are wrong all the time they also cannot assume they as the operator are always right.
I struggle with this. I find myself driving to a nearby town, see a pickup with a trailer full of old engine blocks going the other way, and I'll turn around and go back because I assume he's heading to my wash. If a guy has his tailgate down, I stop what I'm doing to see what he's up to. Guilty until proven innocent.

It's no way to run a car wash, this I know. I'm working on being better.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Red,

I think what you are doing is being a responsible owner/operator. If you stop someone from trashing a bay you are maintaining a positive environment for customers that appreciate it and don't mistreat your wash. You aren't trying to be a jerk or looking for trouble or a confrontation, you are trying to prevent one.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Red,

I think what you are doing is being a responsible owner/operator. If you stop someone from trashing a bay you are maintaining a positive environment for customers that appreciate it and don't mistreat your wash. You aren't trying to be a jerk or looking for trouble or a confrontation, you are trying to prevent one.
Can I quote you in the local newspaper? :)