What's new

My BP experience

Louise

Reaction score
I live in the Panhandle of Florida and we have had a few small wafers of oil (looks more like ashphalt) on our beach. However, the media has played up this story in such away that ALL vacationers are cancelling their trips to Florida. I own a beach house rental and have not had one single new booking since April 20th (day of the spill).

Of course, I filed a claim with BP. Their requirements were not unreasonable. Three years tax returns (I have only owned the house for 2 years in a LLC, so I provided two) and 3 years historical rental information (only had the last 11 months as we opened up for rentals in June of 2009), and proof that we had remodelled the house. I got the last of the info to them on Monday morning. By 6 pm on Tuesday, I had a phone call to tell me that there were two checks waiting for me.

Did I get everything I asked for - well, no, but I got over 90% of what I asked for and more that I could substantiate. BP basically took my word on the validity of my claim and my forecasts for future rentals.

When I picked up the checks I did not, nor was I asked to, sign any agreement whatsoever. I was assured that checks would continue to arrive each month until rental levels returned to normal and I was completely satisfied.

I couldn't be more impressed with BP's response and their acceptance of financial responsibility.

Florida is open for business and our beaches are still beautiful. Come down for a cheap vacation.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I must live too far north, as i would rather be in ND for the summer than florida. Our summers are awesome, But would love to get out of my state in the cold months. What does your place rent for in the winter? You could always get one of us to help at the car wash too!

Louise

Reaction score
Hey Whale,

Four bedroom/3 bath cottage on the sound. Great house for a large group or two familes to share (it has two suites). Summer - $2000/week - Winter - $1000/week. Don't need to work at the wash if you come, but would love to show it off.

Really, our beaches are absolutely beautiful. Sugar white sand and green/blue water. Pensacola Beach is a great little (out of the way) quiet place.

Please consider some place in Florida for a getaway. Prices will be so cheap. All kinds of specials are being advertised.

Louise

Louise

Reaction score
Pensacola Beach, Florida beach stil clean and BEAUTIFUL

Children went swimming yesterday afternoon. Not a tar ball in sight.

Our house is

www.pensacolabeachcottage.com

crude website but the photos are good.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
So how does it look now? i used to go to Pensacola a lot when I lived in Louisiana, your white sand beaches were beautiful!

Louise

Reaction score
Hi Ryko,

Well the beach was closed one day this week when oil suddenly appeared on our beach. It was a shocker. Our sand is not stained as the oil just rolls up into little blobs. However, the beach is open now and the water is clear. There are tar balls - not too many - and BP workers (locals paid $14.50/hour) descend upon the beach at night to clean up. It is a daily battle.

Our prayer is that BP's money holds out long enough to get this mess cleaned up and to financially compensate everyone affected. The claims will be staggering. All the big law firms are getting involved now and filing class action suits.

Florida can really use the tourism dollars. Deals abound.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I have a condo on the West side of Panama City beach, no real impact on the beach or rental yet. Just a few tar balls last week. We were dwon last week and saw nothing but tarball patrols. I asked one guy who was walking the beach- he said he hasn't seen one yet.

John, BTW, i rent my one bedroom condo for 1K a month in the off season. It's cheap to stay in the panhandle, but can get a little cool in winter.

Louise

Reaction score
Well, that is pretty much how it was here last week and then - bam - on Tuesday the oil was here. My children and I went down tonight to watch the BP workers clean up. Really, it is a joke. About 20 teams - 1 guy with a shovel and 1 guy with a large plastic bag. My guess is they can cover about 100 square feet tonight. They need to cover 2 miles. Shovels won't work - we need bulldozers.

I hope you guys in Panama City are more fortunate than us.

wisheewashee

Reaction score
BP Claim

Louise,

My experience has been different with BP. Just like your rental property, my business at the car wash turned off on May 1st. To the tune of 60% down. We were tracking about the same as last year but then the oil hit. My location is a mile or so off the beach so I am directly effected by tourism.

BP said I can't prove that the oil is related to lost business. I said then unless there is a new mode of transportation that tourist use to get to the hotel rooms, I would believe that they drive cars.

I took 4 years of P&L to the claims office to show a sudden halt in customers beginning in May. They said if I can show there is a smaller traffic count at the beach I may be able to prove something. So far nobody from the Island Authority is helping me with traffic counts.

This oil is shutting me down.

Louise

Reaction score
I am sorry. Can FDOT not help you in some way. State representatives need to call for these traffic counts immediately.

I am about to go thru the same thing on my wash and I hope I don't run into the same road blocks. I'll let you know.