What's new

Mounting Lexan Bay Signs

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I bought some 24” x 36” Lexan Bay Instruction Signs. What’s the best way to attach these signs? I have Extrutech Wall Panels over concrete block.

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
Last year I used the 2 sided tape to attach my instruction signs to brick walls and I’m not happy with the results. The tape is sticking to the brick and the paper decal on the back of the lexan separating decal from the clear lexan. I wish I had used screws and plastic anchors.

Eric H

Reaction score
If you go with double sided tape it MUST be 3M VHB (Very High Bond). I have my signs on my 7 year old Royal building mounted with VHB and they still look great. My signs are lexan with the vinyl mounted on the back side of the sign (called second surface).

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I'll have to look for 3M VHB tape you suggested....

There is another thread going right now about drive anchors. I've used the plastic ones to attach an 18" x 24" aluminum security sign above our changer. But wished I would have used SS screws in the anchor instead of the drive pin so they could be removed easier if needed.

With your suggestions, I'm thinking the best way might be to use both, plastic drive anchors and double sided tape...I'm concerned that if I only use the drive anchors it could be ripped from the wall easily since the Lexan is so flimsey.

MEP001

Reaction score
I use the 3M VHB tape to mount aluminum signs to the glazed block. It holds far better than I expected - I had originally mounted signs with silicone with a few small pieces of the tape to hold it while the adhesive dried, but when I took the signs down a few years later the only thing holding them on was the tape.

The cheap white foam tape won't work - it will absorb water, grow algae/mildew and disintegrate.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I've used the 3m tape for years with good results both to vinyl siding and brick/block. The version I use is available at Home Depot. It is 3/4" wide and has a red peel off liner. I would never drill holes in a wall covering for signage.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I've used the 3m tape for years with good results both to vinyl siding and brick/block. The version I use is available at Home Depot. It is 3/4" wide and has a red peel off liner. I would never drill holes in a wall covering for signage.
Mep & Ric,

Am I missing something --- what if you need to take the sign down for whatever reason? Does that mean the tape can be somehow removed without ruining what it is sticking to?

MJ

MEP001

Reaction score
mjwalsh said:
Am I missing something --- what if you need to take the sign down for whatever reason? Does that mean the tape can be somehow removed without ruining what it is sticking to?
You can use a piece of twine as a cable saw and cut it off. The tape remnants can be removed with an adhesive cleaner.

pgrzes

Reaction score
We use the plastic drive anchors. If we need to remove we use one of our ice choppers, slide behind sign and hit once or twice. If we cant remove the pin we just use a regular drill and drill them out and remount. They really hold up quite well, and very cheap!!!
Just my .02!!!

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
You can use a piece of twine as a cable saw and cut it off. The tape remnants can be removed with an adhesive cleaner.
Yep, the sign will come off. Sometimes a little heat from a heat gun or hair dryer helps, along with a razor blade.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
If you go with double sided tape it MUST be 3M VHB (Very High Bond). I have my signs on my 7 year old Royal building mounted with VHB and they still look great. My signs are lexan with the vinyl mounted on the back side of the sign (called second surface).
Concerning the 3M VHB tape, what "mil" thickness would you recommend? Looks like the General Purpose Tape starts at 15 mil and the thickest is 120mil. 1 mil = .001"