What's new

Monorail vacs

Roz

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a manual for a monorail vacuum? Trying to figure out if our vac is a g2 or a tempest. Really looking to see how I can change the Sox in them and which ones to purchase. Also looking to understand how I can attach a CryptoPay swiper to the quarter only acceptor.

MEP001

Reaction score
The Cryptopay thing is simple, just configure it to pulse, one pulse per quarter, count down mode, and hook the two red/green wires to the coin switch input of the timer. You might as well use a swiper with a button even if you don't use it, just disable it in the settings if you don't. They cost the same with or without the button.

Randy

Reaction score
The round vvac's are the Tempest and the GG2 is oval. The bags come up from the bottom on both vac's. The G2 was a real PITA as it doesn't have a upper door. Monorail used there own plug in timers that didn't last very long so I almost bet that the timers have been replaced.

Roz

Reaction score
Thx Randy. G2s. Trying to figure out how I crawl up into the top portion to change the sox. What a pain.

Randy

Reaction score
It’s been probably 15 or 20 years since we got rid of the G2 vac’s. If memory serves me correctly the filter is attached to an eye bolt that goes though the top of the vac under the dome. I saw a manual for the G2 vac’s not to long ago, I’ll look around and see if I can find it.

Roz

Reaction score
Your memory is good, I see that bolt but wonder how I get the bag on it. No room to maneuver hands plus the bags appear to have a rectangular opening, not the traditional circular opening.

Randy

Reaction score
I found a very poor copy of the installation manual dated 1990. To remove the filters.

“To access the filter bags, remove the dome, the plate on which the motors is mounted is hinged for convenient access. Two wing nuts secure the plate. Remove the wing nuts and prop up the motor plate. The filter bags are then in view. If the bags need replacement, unfasten the straps on the top of the filter from the bracket to which it is secured. Releasing the bag it will allow it to drop for removal through the trash door area. Reverse procedure for replacement. “

These vacuums are probably the worse design. To clean them it’s a filthy mess, you have to use a toilet brush mounted on the end of a stiff hose working it up and down inside the filter bag the get them clean. Monorail used a European short drop coin mechanism that you could only get from Monorail. We converted all of ours over to long drop electronic coin mechanisms. I don't remember what what year Monorail went out of business. I'm thinking maybe 20+ years ago.

Roz

Reaction score
Randy thank you for tracking down. I found the door this morning while poking around under the dome to change the bulb.
In the end we took a wet dry vac into the sox from below. New gaskets on all the doors and they are sucking better than ever before. They are poor designs but still working amazingly well. Regards. Jordan