What's new

Mobile detailer looking to expand

crumbgrabber

Reaction score
This may just be a dream, but it's a dream that won't leave me. I've been a detailing hobbyist for years, but last year started a mobile detailing company. It's a new concept in this area (northcentral IL) and has done well in good weather. Last year, I really didn't invest too much time in promoting the dealership work, but I'm thinking about stretching out this year and maybe hiring a good part-timer for lot washes. Good idea? I was thinking of $1.50-$2.00 range for washes with RO water. Then I would keep growing the business in the residential market and doing the detail work, etc..

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Given my knowledge of dealerships, I would skip this idea.

Given the fact that the Federal Clean Waters Act prohibits carwash water entering anything but the sanitary sewer system (not the storm drains or catch basins), I would skip this idea.

MEP001

Reaction score
I know a couple guys who make really good money doing dealership cars with RO water and a pump on a trailer. Evidently not all areas are concerned with the Federal Clean Waters Act.

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
As long as your putting on RO water only you should have no problems....But I do think you are under selling your-self....

bigleo48

Reaction score
As long as your putting on RO water only you should have no problems....But I do think you are under selling your-self....
Mr Aap,

It doesn't mater what kind of water your using, it's all the other chems used in car washing & detailing you can't put down the drain. I have seen trailers that have their own capture systems in car wash rags, so you may be able to do it that way legaly (if you care)

Big Leo

Last edited:

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
Mr Aap,

It doesn't mater what kind of water your using, it's all the other chems used in car washing & detailing you can't put down the drain. I have seen trailers that have their own capture systems in car wash rags, so you may be able to do it that way legaly (if you care)

Big Leo
You missed my point by RO water only I mean RO water only nothing else thats all he is doing is giving an RO rinse....Should be a non issue....

bigleo48

Reaction score
You missed my point by RO water only I mean RO water only nothing else thats all he is doing is giving an RO rinse....Should be a non issue....
OK...so how does the car get clean?

MEP001

Reaction score
bigleo48 said:
OK...so how does the car get clean?
They're new cars on a lot, few or no trees, so they just get dusty. They spray them off every day with high-pressure RO, and they stay clean and without spots. There's no other "washing" involved.

Looks like a nearby dealership has their own program - they have a guy who spends all day bringing car after car through the C-store's auto next door, then uses our drying shed to wipe it down.

Chris28

Reaction score
Go on line or look in the Yellow pages for drums. u want a 50 gallon or 100 gallon drum then u need a 2600 to 3000 psi pressure washer and Honda generator. then u need trailer,truck, or mini van. If u look on line there is companies that will sale u a trailer equipped with all this items. Then u can pressure wash cars,house,sidewalks,mobile homes. Good Luck

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
They're new cars on a lot, few or no trees, so they just get dusty. They spray them off every day with high-pressure RO, and they stay clean and without spots. There's no other "washing" involved.

Looks like a nearby dealership has their own program - they have a guy who spends all day bringing car after car through the C-store's auto next door, then uses our drying shed to wipe it down.

This is what I was thinking.....Bigleo and I were just thinking about diffrent situations.....Mine is Pollen season lots of new cars on the lot they don't need a wash but a rinse...RO only.....Another one is a combo of a rain storm and dust storm....Nothing a mediom pressure RO rinse could not take care of....

buda

Reaction score
As stated, you are not in violation of the Federal Clean Water Act if you rinse cars with plain water, whether it is RO water or tap water.

As long as it does not have any chemicals in it you are ok.

The only reason for using RO water (water that has been treated by a reverse osmosis system, removing all minerals) is so the vehicles are not left with spots when the vehicle dries.

And, as someone else stated $1.00 to $2.00 per car is very low cost. Do you know what your hourly service rate charge should be in operating your business. If you could do 25 cars an hour that would only be $25 an hour. Now if you could get $2.00 per car and do 25 cars in an hour that is $50 an hour which must be closer to what you need to make to be profitable.

Regards
Bud Abraham

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There are several systems out their with a pressure washer and large RO tank on a trailer. I have seen them work. They do an excellent job on vehicles that are just sitting out on the lot. It would not work on washing customer's vehicles or trade-ins but for lot vehicles it cleans them quickly without a need to dry them.

buda

Reaction score
Ron

We sell one such system and it is pretty expensive. The RO System, the trailer, pressure washer and tank is between $10,000 and $15,000.

And, you have to have a place to set up the RO System with at least a 500 gallon storage tank for the RO water.

Regards
Bud Abraham

crumbgrabber

Reaction score
Sorry. I've been out of town since posting the question, but I appreciate the responses. What do dealerships usually pay for the quick cleaning with RO? I just picked a number to use. I've got a cargo van with water tanks that I could use for this project.

crumbgrabber

Reaction score
Water tanks

Looking for a water tank for the detail truck. Needs to be no more than 18" tall though. That's the hard part. I can do it with a 50 gallon tank on this particular truck. Any suggestions?