What's new

Meterbox signage/labels

Andyjmyr

Attendant
Reaction score
Does anyone currently develop and produce their own meterbox labels?

I use photoshop / pages (mac) / and other graphic editing programs to produce ads, labels, and decals. I was just wondering what other people used to print their labels on and how long their labels usually lasted.

Not sure if this will get a lot of responses but I thought I would ask.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
A key scrape to really test for lasting appearance capability

Does anyone currently develop and produce their own meterbox labels?

I use photoshop / pages (mac) / and other graphic editing programs to produce ads, labels, and decals. I was just wondering what other people used to print their labels on and how long their labels usually lasted.

Not sure if this will get a lot of responses but I thought I would ask.
I mostly use MS Publisher 2000 for paper thin decals. Any software that allows for easy resizing of pictures, text etc & made to print out precisely to the 16th or 32nd of an inch or a millimeter makes sense. It seems like the decal makers prefer eps files but will accept pdf & other though.

One of my recent posts pertained to reverse printed polycarbonate as the most durable. I am thinking with a good alarm system an operator could possibly not even use stainless on the faceplate of a meter box that needed to be revised. It would sure simplify the openings. Has anyone reverse printed on thick 1/4" PolyCarbonate for extra durability? For CNC cutting of openings the software should be able to generate a dxf file. Most fabrication shops know what CNC is; because more & more have that type of automated cutting or routing of material.

We have been using the laminated pouches from this company in Illinois -- http://www.jhlaminating.com/ & it seals homemade paper signs & some have been lasting for years. They sent us samples & that is how we got started. I suppose other companies also sell pouches that can be put in a small laminator it appears in a google search. They do not pass the key test like reverse printed on polycarbonate though. Staples has decal paper but we have not tried it yet.

jprb

Reaction score
I use a Brother label maker and 3/4" tapes to make simple instruction decals. Most have lasted several years.

Andyjmyr

Attendant
Reaction score
The other day we came across this laminator at Wal-Mart for $24 bucks.

Laminator on Amazon.com

For our labels (most of them) we've used laminants as a way to get most of our messages across. However, it would be nice to find an alternative method. For instance, meterbox decals.

Currently, we have a pre-paid card system (which will remain nameless for the time being) where the meterbox decals are produced to the design of the pre-paid card colors. The company (again, will remain nameless) is sometimes unreliable at delivering requested products. The decals are very nice, but overtime they decay and start to come off the steel. I'd like to know of any methods, if any, to make custom decals that are stronger and more reliable.

I've included some of the various labels and signs I've made for our wash. I'm about to make another dog wash meterbox decal. However, I'd like to study alternative methods of printing before I produce a decal.

Enjoy & thanks,

Andy