What's new

Mesh strainers are kicking my fanny

Dave in IL

Reaction score
I have a PD McLaren self serve system (side note: are they still in business?). Each of the chemical mixing tanks have a stub that receives a mesh strainer to keep solids from entering the system. The strainers just slip over the stub, no screws or clamps, they just slip over the stub. Over the years they have become damaged and I tried to replace them. However, I can't for the life of me get the new ones on that stub without putting on boxing gloves and having at it. Did manage to get two on but it was quite the effort and I think I may have damaged the new ones worse the old ones. I am sure I have the right size, is there some trick to this? The new ones look exactly like the old ones, same material etc. I can take the old ones off and put them back on with ease.

Here is a link to what I am talking about. https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-133-basket-strainer-40-mesh-3-4-mip-or-1-barb.aspx I am getting too old to have to fight with a simple strainer so any help would be appreciated.

MEP001

Reaction score
You might try the next bigger size. I've used those forever and they screw easily over a pipe nipple or slip over a hose barb.