What's new

MEI Validator Conversion problems

washregal

Reaction score
I have a conversion kit for the Mars validator from Etowah Valley -I have (6) changers - all but one work perfectly.

Having issues with the one unit tripping out constantly - Sent this back a while ago and checked out fine - Seems to happen in colder weather. I do not have the white conversion box mounted - only laid on the floor of the coin vault. This is a conversion for a hamilton unit.

Thinking of mounting the box - would this help? Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any advice?

Randy

Reaction score
I don’t think it makes too much difference if the white relay box is mounted or not, mine are tucked into the harnessing in the changer. When you say it’s “tripping out” what’s tripping out? What is the Green light on the Controller doing? Is it on steady or is it flashing? Do you have to reset the controller to get it to come back on? Have you tired moving the validator to another Changer? I have had a couple of Relay boxes bad out of the box.

washregal

Reaction score
The green light on the controller is flashing. I have to reset the controller for the unit to come back on - It will take a few bills then trip out again. Thats the strange thing - all summer and through the fall this unit worked fairly well as is.. now that the cold weather is here it is on the fritz. I have had this issue in the past - same changer. Sent all equipment back to Etowah before - had it come back with same issues.

Randy

Reaction score
The problem is not with the Mars validator, the problem is in your changer. The “Green Flashing” light on the Controller is telling you what’s wrong with the Changer. How many Flashes does the “Green” light give you? It will flash in a sequence, flash X number times then flash once and then repeat over again. You’ve probably got bad payout switch. Grab the Hopper on the top and give it a quick shake, if it goes out of service you’ve got a bad switch or a Controller issue.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen a while back. I have the Hamilton/Mars conversion Randy sold me to replace an outdated system...I kept my old controller in place since the Mars/Hamilton conversion would work with my old controller...Anyway, after some time the controller started tripping the built in circuit breaker. I tried everything. When I replaced the controller and 6 pin plug, that seemed to fix it. I haven't had it trip since. You might wiggle the 6 pin plug to see if it trips....If the connection/pins are loose fitting, maybe when it gets cold, its causing problems.

You might swap controllers with a good working one to see if the problem follows the controller. If not, maybe its in the plug?

Last edited:

soapy

Reaction score
One thing I added to my change machines is a small box heater inside the changer. I set it to keep the inside of the changers warm enough to stop any ice freeze ups. I think it makes everything work better.