What's new

Medeco cam lock question

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
I just ordered 20 keyed alike 5/8" medeco cam locks for my coin boxes.
I was trying to install them and ran into a problem.
When the key is in the position to be be pulled out, the locking lever that catches the coinbox is 90 degrees off. I tried everything to alter it but it seems that I need a different locking bar that the slot goes the other direction. I don't know if this makes any sense or not but I will try to post a picture of what I mean.
Is there such thing as a vertical and a horizontal cam lock. The ones I were replacing you could turn it either way.

MEP001

Reaction score
Is there not a small cam on the backside you can remove and flip over to change the stops?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
what MEP said - there is a thin washer-like "cam" between the lever and the lock body - flip it over. (or maybe reverse it - I cant recall at the moment.)

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
If you have Medeco cam locks MEP and Paul are right. If I were you I would taken one lock, sit down at a table or work bench and really study the lock. remove the nut, the lock washer and then remove the last that that is notched. Turn it upside down and put it back together with the cam attached. You might also look at the locks you're replacing and compare them.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I encountered the same thing. Got new bars with the slot going the other direction from Ra-Lock.

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
Here is a photo

Here is a phot of what I have and what I need.
I have the cam that locks in the 12 oclock or 6 oclock position
I need to lock in the 3 oclock position

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I got to look at a Medeco cam lock today - under the locking cam there is another cam that you can flip over, but it won't solve the problem since the key won't pull out in the 3- or 9-o'clock positions. They should make the locking cam with the slotted hole punched the way you need, you'll just have to order them.