What's new

Mark VII GTO slipping on track

Shorco1

Reaction score
My Mark VII GTO 300 is slipping on the track with A-310 error code. It doesn't get out of the home position. If it does move out of home it is very slow and seems to slip in position or move erratically. The temperature gets above freezing and everything is fine. Would the gantry move with a drive overload tripped? This happens just below the freezing point and has not do it prior. The only thing I can think of would be one of the drive motors not working, overload tripped. I haven't checked the overload of if one of the drive motors has failed. Of course I'll check it in the morning. Is there anything that I may be missing that I should look for? I hate cold weather.

Bill Manke

Reaction score
Sounds Like you have ice on the track. Mine has done this if a cold wind comes through and freezes the track.

Shorco1

Reaction score
Hi Bill,

Yea, there's ice on the track and we don't have doors. This is the first time in three years it has done this. Mark VII Denver did a retro in August so the gantry is nice and warm but now it slips on the track. I thought it might possiby have one drive motor not working. If this were a common occurance I would heat the track. If it's not one thing it's another. Most of the IBA's in our area do not have doors.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
They use to have some problem with people overgreasing and getting it on track. Should not be an issue with auto greasers but worth a look.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ran a loop of floor heat tubing through the rail on my IBA, then on the ends I filled it with spray foam insulation to seal it up. Seems to work fairly well.

I also have insulated doors. Where I'm located they make sense for me. I'd rather have doors cycle up and down than battle the super cold in that bay all Winter. I wash cars well below freezing with the doors cycling up and down. I set the floor heat to keep the IBA bay above 32 and the floors deiced; works for me.

Etowah

Shorco1

Reaction score
They use to have some problem with people overgreasing and getting it on track. Should not be an issue with auto greasers but worth a look.
Ted, I have auto greasers so that is not a issue. It is a temperature issue that has not happended in three years of cold winter temps. The weather will be in the 40's today so that will help. I'll check the drive motors this morning after I have my coffee. The gantry is not going to move until it gets above freezing and it is now 25. By noon the temperature will be above 40.

Waxman, THE GTO has a steel rail, as in railroad track, that the gantry rides on. It is a more difficult to heat a rail than what you have for you SideTrack. However, it can be done.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How do you heat a track like that?

What about a solaronics suntube mounted above the rail area?

Shorco1

Reaction score
I checked the overloads for the drive motors, both OK. It is a temperature issue and dealing with the ice on the tracks. I've not had a problem in 3 years but there is always the first. Now the issue of heating the track. Any Mark VII owners that have done this and how. Thanks.

JohnDHill

Chem,Equip,Service-Calif
Reaction score
Something else to look at - I have had a couple of units in my area with the same problem when it gets cold. The problem here was a wear spot at the home position. The unit sits down in a very slight depression in the track and has a hard time pulling out of it when cold. We just grinded it smooth and than readjusted track for level – no more problem.

Shorco1

Reaction score
Something else to look at - I have had a couple of units in my area with the same problem when it gets cold. The problem here was a wear spot at the home position. The unit sits down in a very slight depression in the track and has a hard time pulling out of it when cold. We just grinded it smooth and than readjusted track for level ? no more problem.

John, thanks very much for the tip. The low spot, after three years of use, could be a contributing factor.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
If that's the issue maybe you could adjust the travel limit plate an inch or so closer to the gantry so it wouldn't home in the dip. Of course, you would want to retrain after trying that.

MEP001

Reaction score
Depending on how wide the groove at home is, you might be better off welding some filler metal in and grinding it flat rather than trying to grind a large surface of the rail. You'll still be left with a depression, and it will be harder to correct the next time.