What's new

LW Boom Hose Problem

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Gone through 2 brand new boom hoses now in a week and they keep tying themselves in a knot or hit the overhead support brackets and stop the machine. I've replaced the top swivel, and 2 hoses that I've been buying at the same place (NAPA) for years. They're 43 & 1/2 inches end to end, like they always are. Once the hose gets kinked like they do, they're pretty much ruined. So I need to figure this out at $100 a pop.

Gheez...the distributor is actually cheaper on this part. $45...just called to check their price.

Last edited:

ken-pro

Equipment Distributor
Reaction score
If the hose is tying itself into a knot, it sounds like you might have the two pipes positioned incorrectly. The pipes should be positioned so that when the machine is travelling normally (Counter Clockwise) the bent pipe on the bridge should be pulling on the overhead hose, which pulls on the welded pipe attached to the overhead cross bar.

If the hose was changed with the bridge and trolley at home position, it is very easy to get this flipped around.

jcollins

Reaction score
Nylon block plates too tight?

If someone has tightened up the bolts through the plates and nylon block bearings holding the upper feed pipe too tight, the feed pipe will not rotate easily around the bay, causing the feed pipe to "drag" behind and the hose to eventually get tied up. The upper feed pipe should be very easy to turn in the nylon blocks.
Also, make sure the upper feed pipe is "following" the trolley around the bay. If the trolley is "pushing" the upper feed pipe, there is more potential for the feed pipe to get pushed into the framework and hang.

This is about the only thing I can think of tying the boom hose up, other than someone manually driving it into a knot. .......Train everyone involved, that when manually driving the trolley and bridge, act as though there is a vehicle parked in bay and keep the arch moving around the outside of the work envelope.
hope this helps

whitescout

Banned
Reaction score
You can also check to see if the end of the bent tube is hitting the overhead support bracket. If it is, you can simply pull down on the bent tube to slightly bend it back to it's original position.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...a couple of things that I found...I don't run the 90 on the top swivel, my supply comes in from the attic and I use a straight swivel there too (only have to keep one kind of swivel on hand). The pipe from the attic had come loose and wasn't straight up and down therefore putting the swivel in a slight bind. Also, and I'm not 100% sure that this was happening, but I think the grease zerk on the swivel inside the bridge was dragging on one of the copper grease lines that are close by. Looks to be working fine and 'pulling' the hose around and keeping a nice U shape. We'll see on the first jeep or shorter car...that's where it's been having problems. THANKS!

jcollins

Reaction score
That pipe coming down out of the attic may be the culprit. If it's offset enough, it could be causing the upper feedpipe to bind up in the nylon block bearings under the top swivel.
If you got it back straight with the swivel, any binding should go away.