What's new

Lovejoys?

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Hey folks. Plastic insert on my gantry drive motor lovejoy is breaking apart.
Any idea where to get new lovejoy other than JC?

Thanks for the help

soapy

Reaction score
Most bearing shops have lovejoy couplers. I have also seen them advertised in Dultmier and other carwash catalogs.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I just replaced all my lovejoy coupling wheels and inserts. Keep in mind that if the inserts are breaking apart there might be another problem. Most likely the bearings are seized and the wheels are slipping in the bearing. Grainger has the lovejoys and the inserts. Keep in mind that the insert is what i believe is a $12.00 polyuerethene insert. The more expensive $41 insert is not for stop and starts that gantry wheels perform. Just my 2 cents. If you take the bearings off you will be able to tell if the wheels and bearings are OK.

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. By the way, is it a pain to do? Do you have to remove the drive motor first?

Reds

Reaction score
Getting the allen head set screw loose has been my biggest problem with them. I use Never Sieze on most of my fasteners so the next time they are easier to get apart. To get the set screw out of the lovejoy the first time I needed heat and an impact driver with an allen wrench socket attached.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
There are eight bolts, 4 below the gear differential and 4 below the drive motor that need to be taken out to replace the lovejoy coupling. They are somewhat difficult to take out and harder to put back in. I found an air ratchet handy for the job. I also used a mirror attached to an antenna rod so I could align the bolts to get back in. If the love joy are stuck on, use a gear/wheel puller and they will pop right off. Advanced Auto sells a nice wheel puller set for about $58. You can rent it for free and if you don't return it they will charge you. Good luck!

Etowah