What's new

loss of pressure on foam brush system

rzeavy

Reaction score
The procon pump loses 1 psi for each additional bay that uses the foam brush. The pressure to the bays drops by 6 psi for each additional bay, even though it should drop by 1 to 2 psi. The settings are: 60 psi at the procon pump, 40 psi to the bays, 30 psi air. I replaced the procon pump, the pressure regulator for the pump, the liquid regulator to the bays, the motor, and the check valve to the liquid regulator.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MEP001

Reaction score
Are you using the internal pop-off of the Procon to regulate the pressure? That will cause your pressure loss with multiple bays in use. I always use the inexpensive JE Adams high-pressure regulator (You will need to cut or grind 1/4" off the spring in the handle) and it does a very good job of keeping a consistent pressure with changes in flow. I have not found a regulator that works better in that application.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I'd cut the pressue=re to the air from 30 psi to 15 and see how that works.

SplishSplash

Self Serve Operator
Reaction score
MEP - Are you removing the guts from the procon pump (screw and spring) and putting the handle and spring from the J.E. regulator into the pump? If so, I really like this idea as the screw from procon is worthless!

I am having the same problem with getting steady pressure and a steady result from the foam at the brush. I am having to use an inline regulator to control the product and air pressure and both are at 60-65 psi currently. The pump regulator does nothing to help. The regulators the previous owner used I am starting to believe may be some of the problem and like the idea of using the J.E. regulator inline for both product and air.

rzeavy

Reaction score
I increased the pressure from the pump to 90 psi with the inline "t" handle regulator and then decrease the pressure to 60 psi with the procon internal regulator, to prevent air into the system.

MEP001

Reaction score
SplishSplash said:
MEP - Are you removing the guts from the procon pump (screw and spring) and putting the handle and spring from the J.E. regulator into the pump? If so, I really like this idea as the screw from procon is worthless!
As per the documentation for the pumps, the pop-off was not intended to be used as a regulator. It's only a safety to prevent damage to the pump in case of a momentary blockage of flow.

I don't remove anything from the pump, I just add the regulator on the outlet and plumb the bypass right back to the inlet.

rzeavy said:
I increased the pressure from the pump to 90 psi with the inline "t" handle regulator and then decrease the pressure to 60 psi with the procon internal regulator, to prevent air into the system.
Was that before or after my recommendation to not use the internal pop-off as a regulator?

rzeavy

Reaction score
mep- I made this adjustment before your post
I noticed that if i don't touch the procon internal regulator and just use the inline regulator the pump will create excessive noise and air will get into the system because the pump is designed to produce 130 psi and the f.b. system uses only 60 psi
Is yours set up to eliminate the noise and the air in the system?

One other question: does the J.E. Adams unloader that you use have a yellow spring (1500psi)?

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score
I use a Spray Systems relief valve 110-3/8-HSS-300 from Windtrax on my Procon pumps. The excessive noise you hear is probably to pump cavitating. This is very bad as it will damage the carbon impeller inside the Procon pump. E-mail me and I'll send you a picture of how to set it up. I've been using them for at least 15 years and have only replaced one relief valve.

MEP001

Reaction score
The noise you're hearing is probably from the regulator and not cavitation. I don't use the T-handle Watts regulators because of the noise and because they don't last. The poppet "floats" and chatters and creates a racket - when you adjust the Procon pop-off, the other regulator isn't doing anything at all.

I've never used the "Spraying Systems" regulator, but it seems like severe overkill. I was referring to the JE Adams 7075 or 7085 regulator, which makes for a neat and inexpensive installation.

Air may be getting into your system if you have the air pressure set too high. As a rule it should be lower than the liquid, or you can add a check valve on the liquid side.

rzeavy

Reaction score
MEP - I am using the 1/2 hp procon pump. Should I use the 1/4 hp pump?
I referred to "air in the system" when I was talking about the air that is visible in the filter bowl, which needs to bleed out while the pump is running. I bleed the air out of the system by adjusting the internal regulator to reduce pressure.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you mean the flange mount 2500 series pump, that's bigger than you need, but it shouldn't hurt to use it. It just needs to be protected for it to last.

If you're getting air in the inlet of the pump on a regular basis, either something is pushing back from the air supply or something is aerating the chemical vat. Does the T-handle regulator bypass to the pump inlet or into the tank? Make sure it's not spraying right over the outlet, same with the Hydrominder discharge. If it bypasses to the line before the strainer bowl, maybe the regulator is bad and is introducing air to the system.