What's new

Looking into the detailing business

Etowah

WikiWash

Reaction score
I have room at my location to open a detailing shop next to my car wash. I have been thinking about ideas to generate more revenue and detailing is one of them. I have no detailing experience except for cleaning my own vehicles. Is this something I can learn from doing research online and with trial and error improve my skills? Are there detailing companies that offer detailing schools for people who want to get into the business? Is this a good idea? Should I maybe work for a detailler to learn about the business? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is complicated. I have been detailing since 1985 and only recently began detailing cars in a way that is highly efficient. Will you be the detailed or hire others? For a detail shop to make decent profits you need to keep prices high. If quality doesn't match price, your value of service drops and you have problems.

You need to develop a service menu, order of operations and pricing strategy. You need to know what to buy and from whom for supplies. You need a carpet extractor, buffer, vacs, carts and air tools. We use tornados cleaning tools, tornados blow guns, pneumatic carpet scrubbers and typhoon guns. A detail shop needs to have awesome lighting, organization , an air compressor and be bright and clean.

I learned from experts like Hank stout, Dennis denn, Denny Bryant and bud Abraham. I would contact bud, who is on act. He is your best bet for help creating a detail shop that will make money. There are many that fail. Good luck.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Any advice would be greatly appreciated.”

Yes, hit the brakes on what to buy and start at the beginning just like if you were going to build a new wash.

Perform a sanity test. Does this idea make sense?

Unlike wand or automatic carwash, a detailer is needed to do the work. Detailer will want certain amount of money to show up every day and stay put.

For example, in Florida, sustainable income (living pay to pay) for family of four is about $40,000. So, assume detailer living alone can make it pay-to-pay on $25,000.

To make decent profit, detail labor should not exceed 40 percent of gross sales.

If detailer makes $25,000, gross sales would need to be $62,500.

If average revenue is $100, sales volume is 625 cars or roughly 2 details a day (625 / 312 days).

2 details a day would generate NOI of roughly $20,000.

So, business operating risks are 1) can the site generate 2 details a day and 2) can management ensure a detailer will be available on site every day.

If you aren’t willing to do want is necessary to mitigate these risks, the likelihood of success is pretty low.

buda

Reaction score
Wiki:

Opinions are like belly-buttons, everyone has one. As Robert says, you need to start at the beginning. Of course, the beginning is different for every car wash operator.

What type of car wash do you operate: full service, exterior, self-service, how many cars do you wash, what type of detailing do you want to offer (express or full service), how much space do you have to perform detailing? These are just a few of the questions to ask yourself.

Happy to help where I can.

Regards
Bud Abraham
buda@detailplus.com

Ayerule

Reaction score
Wiki,

Any updates? I'm in the same boat.
I have found going to detail expos like the recent one in Orlando are gold mines for information.

WikiWash

Reaction score
I have only done a little research since this post. Its been on the back burner due to our winter wash season.