What's new

looking a purchasing a small car wash /mini storage ADVICE?

buggynutz

Reaction score
First think I want to do is thank you in advance for taking time to read this thread and allowing me to be a part of your group , any and all advice will be taken into account and very much appreciated even if its what some would call "tough love"

I am looking at a little 2 bay self serve car wash(one enclosed car and one outdoor for larger trucks/tractors) and 10 unit mini storage (10x15s) in a small town farming town (population about 500) not to far from where I live for a great price, it was built new in 1998 and has everything you expect a small car was to have including floor heat. It sits on about 3/4 to an acre and has room for me to put up another 30 x 70 storage building on it as well, the land is included in the sell. It was bank owned foreclosed property until about 3 months ago until a mutual connection of mine bought it along with 4 other car washes from the same bank. Prior to his purchase it was sitting unattended for about a year.

He went threw everything and has had it operating for the last 2 months and has been able to rent 9 out of 10 of the storage units out , he rented them for what one would consider under market value but he wanted to get them back on the map and making $ even if it was less then market value. my question being new and never owning anything like this is how many times per week would one expect to service a small car wash such as this?

There is no records as what the car wash can bring in and with it sitting a year it may take awhile for people to realize in the outlining areas its open again to get an accurate estimate I would think? anyone have a guess on what to expect? It is the only one in town as expected in a town of that size.

Last edited:

buggynutz

Reaction score
I can pick the place up for around 35-40k and that seems like a great price to me but would love to have any advice from some of you on things I should be looking at?

I know its a lot to ask and is prob a very small investment/car wash compared to what most of you deal with but thought maybe there was still some advice that would help me decide rather to purchase it.

thanks Kenny

posted pictures if anyone thinks that would help in you opinions.

As you can see by pictures- it sits on the corner of 2 paved roads- one being the main road threw town and other on being a side street- the 3rd side is a gravel/rock allyway

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think I would go for it, seems like a good price, I even wonder if you could build for that price, my vote is go for it.

MEP001

Reaction score
buggynutz said:
my question being new and never owning anything like this is how many times per week would one expect to service a small car wash such as this?
If you want to make it a profitable business, you should expect to visit it every day, at least once a day. Finding someone you can trust is hard; learning to service everything takes time, but it's probably going to be the only way you'll make a decent profit.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
What a price- That is just a down payment on land for most of us. I would expect to put some time into the place, and some signage so that they know about the wash and self storage, otherwise it just looks like your garage. It would look like a money maker considering the price.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
pay the $ and start wringing $ out of it. its gonna take alot of work and is no absentee owner biz like lotsa non-carwash owners think.

signs, rich soaps, hot water, high pressure. keep everything working and clean and promote it and you can profit.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I think a little $ would go a long way. Professionaly done signage on the Building that faces the street if the city allows it. Also some Bright colors on the building roof line of the bays.

buggynutz

Reaction score
I haven't really thought much about the income, its more of a long term investment and a way for my son to make some extra cash while he is in college ( figured I would let him take care of the car wash side and he could have the profits while he's in school) -would be very happy with 800-1000 a month on an investment that small and the storage is bringing in about half of that now so a person would think that would be reasonable-

I did some researching today and when the wash was open and running it was averaging about 2 and a half times the water usage it did the last months- hopefully with a nice sign to let some people in the area know it is back open and running we could get back to that figure

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The risk here seems rather small. Even if the wash doesn't do well you have the storage business and the land. The trick will be to get customers back to the location. Assuming the wash is in good running condition I would do some serious promotions in the beginning to attract business.

buggynutz

Reaction score
after alot of good advice form you guys and alot of thinking/researching- I signed a contract after we came to a price i was happy with- wish me luck, i may need it

thanks to everyone for the help

buggynutz

Reaction score
well closing date has been set- jan 29 will be the first day of ownership- i am guessing its gonna have a learning curve for sure- thinking of putting up another storage building on the attched lot next door that came with it - that might help some cash flow?

torquewrench

Reaction score
Looks like that is a great deal! Just remember owning a car wash is like a ball and chain prison sentence for life!!