What's new

Lock up Vacs or not

Reaction score
I am having a running issue with people at night rummaging through my vacs and leaving the residue on the ground. Besides that, the vac no longer gives good suction as the culprit will not resecure the vac doors. Are their stronger door locks or methods out their or do we just routinely reshut the doors every morning. I have tried putting locks on the clasps but those can be hammered off pretty quickly......

MEP001

Reaction score
IMO, your options are either to leave them unlocked so they don't get damaged or really secure the crap out of them. You can also try cleaning them out every evening and after a while they should stop coming by to go through the debris for change. If there isn't a heavy-duty option for your vacs to secure them, a cheap and simple option is to cut stainless angle pieces, bolt it to the vac and the door with the flats facing and drill through them both for a padlock.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I am having a running issue with people at night rummaging through my vacs and leaving the residue on the ground. Besides that, the vac no longer gives good suction as the culprit will not resecure the vac doors. Are their stronger door locks or methods out their or do we just routinely reshut the doors every morning. I have tried putting locks on the clasps but those can be hammered off pretty quickly......
Cell,

Depending on the brand you should be able to buy a shroud from Industrial Vacs or another Vac manufacturer - distributor to fit over the 2 locks with Medeco Locks. We do not regret having done this over 10 years ago on our Stainless Doyle Vacs.

mike

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I am trying something new now. Some vacs are harder to secure than others. Have had morons break stuff when they were padlocked.

What I am trying now is a 3/8" Nut with nylon lock nut instead of a padlock thru the holes. You really need some hand tools to loosen it. The Nimrods don't usualy cary wrenches or vice grips yet the desperate person who lost some jewelry could still access it.

For the last couple of weeks it has stopped the regular nimrod.

I wanted something that did not protrude too much so on some I used a 3/8" Eye bolt on the vac and a gate type slide lock on the door. The eyebolt with 3-5 Flat washers lined up with the bolt and the slide lock has enough holes for carriage bolts that I don't need the one closest to the door edge that would interfere with the closing.

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:
What I am trying now is a 3/8" Nut with nylon lock nut instead of a padlock thru the holes. You really need some hand tools to loosen it. The Nimrods don't usualy cary wrenches or vice grips yet the desperate person who lost some jewelry could still access it.
I've done that too, and it worked for a while, but whoever was going through them regularly would eventually bring a pair of wrenches. I even went so far as to use a pinned hex head screw to secure the door down and they went and bought a tool to fit it. The only thing that worked was to clean them out completely every evening.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got the security 'door' w/medeco lock over my cleanout door hinges on IVS vacs when new; never had a problem.

mjc3333

Reaction score
I had that same problem for over 20 years with my old Monorail G-2 vacs. They would just "pop" off the latch or lock at will until I welded two pieces of angle iron on the trash door with a abus lock.

I have new vacs now with a SS c channel that covers the latches with a medico cam lock.

You need to either cover the latches or weld two SS angle and the abus lock.

You need to lock the doors some way some how or the problem will never go away on its own.

May seem like a pain in the ***, but it solves the problem quickly.

chiggybite

Reaction score
We simply dill a hole in the door, put an eye bolt in the hole and run a small decorative chain around vac and through eye bolt and lock with a small Abus padlock. Works great, easy to install and effective.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
We simply dill a hole in the door, put an eye bolt in the hole and run a small decorative chain around vac and through eye bolt and lock with a small Abus padlock. Works great, easy to install and effective.
Just had the regular numb Nuts Prie open the 3/8" eye bolts.

On to plan B!