What's new

Locating an acquisition

thomps9

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new here and this is my first post. Let me first give you a little information about myself. I am 32 years old and a chiropractor in Iowa. I am getting to the point where the profession is giving me more headaches than enjoyment and am looking for a way out. The car wash industry has always caught my eye and I feel like I am ready to move forward with this business venture.

How have you guys/gals gone about finding a car wash for sale in your area? There is one wash that I am extremely interested in due to it's location and setup (5 self service, 2 automatics). My thought was to simply write the owner a letter stating my interest and to see if they would ever consider selling. Has anyone ever had luck with such a method?

Thank you for your honest replies!

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Some of my clients had people literally walk up to them and make a offer to buy.

So, writing a letter of interest shouldn't take anyone by surprise.

Go for it.

Can't say no unless you ask.

thomps9

Reaction score
That was my thought as well. Sometimes people/owners need that extra push to realize it's time to sell.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
find a part time job at a car wash and work on weekends to see how you like it. when things break, dig in and help the owner / manager fix them. help customers, load cars into the automatic and fill the vending machines. empty the vac lean out bins and wipe down all equipment. keep your own car washed if you get spare time. fill the soaps and waxes and keep all bays and parking lot clean. If you still feel enthusiastic after these tasks are complete, you may proceed.

thomps9

Reaction score
I can tell you right now that I know the work that goes into it, I grew up with my family owning a car wash and was always helping out. But yet again, I do appreciate the input. If you ask me, it sounds like you may be fed up with having a car wash, and I mean that in a non-confrontational way.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i love the car wash business but you asked so i answered. i did not ask for your opinion but you did certainly ask for mine.

you don't need to worry about my commitment to the business because i have proof of it; a successful, busy, going concern with car wash, awesome detail shop and used car sales.

helping out at a wash is good experience, but being the boss is a whole different animal. but it sounds like you know it all anyway, so good luck.

thomps9

Reaction score
I totally agree that being the boss is entirely different than helping out. What I was pointing out is that I do have the experience in the day to day activities. I also have several years experience being the "boss", albeit a different business.

I never once claimed to know it all.. Isn't that what these boards are for, to ask for advice to gain more knowledge? My comment of you being fed up with the industry was based on your prior comment. You made it sound like the business is more of a burden than enjoyment and a good investment. If I offended you with that, I apologize!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
all i did was list some of the duties involved in owning and operating a wash. i get fed up at times and so will you or any car wash owner.

a car wash helper and owner/operator are very different. you'll see.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Waxman has given you sound advice.

Unlike an employee, a carwash never comes in late, goes home early or takes a day off sick or a two week vacation.

Saturday is the busiest day of week and it’s also the day most families have birthday parties, wedding celebrations and get together.

Want an early tee time for Sunday morning? There is Saturday’s mess to clean up first.

Busy days during the season are fun because business is usually three times greater than average.

And then there are times during the season when weather is not conducive and fixed cost exceeds sales for several weeks on end.

Not to mention customer service. People hate to wait (malfunction, refund) and tend to complain.

If you can deal with these things and others (i.e vandalism) effectively, carwash can be a very rewarding business.

mac

Reaction score
I have one customer who is a practicing surgeon that has three wash/lube centers. He is an exception. Many of the operators I know wish they had stayed in school and maybe studied to become a chiropractor. What is it they say about the grass across the fence?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have one customer who is a practicing surgeon that has three wash/lube centers. He is an exception. Many of the operators I know wish they had stayed in school and maybe studied to become a chiropractor. What is it they say about the grass across the fence?
I think the carwash is great, for sure. However I can't see it fitting into the life of a busy Chiropractor, dentist, doctor. One of my car wash friends is an accountant and around tax time or if a client is sued, for example, he has a very hard time paying as much attention to the wash as he feels he should.

I am on site nearly every day and also operate a detail shop, used car lot and 8 plex apartment building. I guess the question is : how much hustle can you devote to the car wash (and thus subtract from your chiro. practice )???