What's new

License plate recognition software

copperglobe

Reaction score
Anyone ever install or use license plate recognition software at their washes? There are several companies out there that provide this service/software. My thought would be that a camera(s) is placed in a specific spot where a computer records each and every plate that passes by. Then, when we have problems with vandalism, theft or some such, we simply look at the video from our other systems and then see the date and time it occurred and compare it to the LPR records. Police and parking companies are using these types of systems with great success. Some of these LPR systems can record a plate even from passing vehicles on the street or cars coming from the other direction (for police work).

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
I've heard that Micrologic has it installed and tied into their POS system at a wash in NJ. I've heard 95% or so readability. Not sure what they are doing beyond that.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I've heard that Micrologic has it installed and tied into their POS system at a wash in NJ. I've heard 95% or so readability. Not sure what they are doing beyond that.
I wonder if it is something like they use in Houston on the toll ways for any vehicle who happens to get on a toll hwy for less than 3 minutes? I remember getting a $15+ bill via postal mail after getting back from my trip there a few years ago.

MEP001

Reaction score
I wonder if it is something like they use in Houston on the toll ways for any vehicle who happens to get on a toll hwy for less than 3 minutes?
It's nothing like that.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Unless you have multiple problems on a daily basis, I would think a dedicated LPC cam and when you need to run a plate, using a web based service to find the registrant

DiamondWash

Reaction score
What is a good web based service that works? I tried a couple and the results were wrong and the Sheriffs Dept even said that because the ever-changing info those websites can't keep up sooooooo is there such a website that can help us?

Mcnoble

Reaction score
Plate Recognizer has a pretty cool and accurate license plate recognition software that you can use for your car wash company. You can check them out and they also provide a free trial and maximum support with guidelines on best lpr camera choices.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
What is a good web based service that works? I tried a couple and the results were wrong and the Sheriffs Dept even said that because the ever-changing info those websites can't keep up sooooooo is there such a website that can help us?
Sorry for the late response!

It all depends on the individual state and how much the report to private entities, but I've used Docusearch with 100% success rate multiple times in the past.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Plate Recognizer has a pretty cool and accurate license plate recognition software that you can use for your car wash company. You can check them out and they also provide a free trial and maximum support with guidelines on best lpr camera choices.
It seems like the tricky part is to be able to mount a camera at the needed lic plate lower height which may make it vulnerable to vandalism or whatever???

AnalyticWash

Reaction score
The height does not really matter. You just need to make sure you are using a dedicated LPR camera which generally have IR cut filters & high frame rate capabilities. Mount this with an effective infrared array and you will see plates glow in the night like daytime.

Etowah
Etowah