What's new

Leaking manifiold

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have a manifold in the floor of my auto that I use to spray on bug juice. I had to add a booster pump in order to get the bug juice to the windshield. I have replaced the solenoid several times, most recently with a 1200 lb solenoid. There is a stream of water pouring out of it as I write this. What can I do? I'm afraid if I put the solenoid before the pump it will starve the pump over time and burn it out but the constant running is killer on the water bill.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I know the one I ordered went up to 1200 lbs but I didn't pay attention to the bottom end number. It was a Parker from Sonnys but without their paper catalog I can never look up Sonnys parts. I'll check when I get the catalog.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Yep you were right. It goes from 15-1200 lbs. Never occured to me to think about the bottom number!
Thanks!!!

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Hey MEP do you think I need a high pressure solenoid? When the booster kicks on it's probably 500-600 lbs and when it's not on it's just over 0. I have already bought several of the wrong valves, I don't want to buy any more!
Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
600 PSI is pretty high - you might get by with one that opens at 125-250 if you put a delay on the pump so the solenoid is already open before it kicks in, but that seems like more work than it's worth.

I linked the 3/8" valve I use for spot-free to the bays, but they have them in 1/2", 3/4" and 1".

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I switched to the 0 pressure solenoid that you showed me and all was well for a couple of months, then the leak started worse than before. Not really a leak, more like wide open with city water pressure. I changed the solenoid and all was well for a couple of days and then the same thing happened again.
The city is working on some water lines in town and I have had 1 clogged ss tip. That has been the only thing that I can think of. Anybody have any ideas?

MEP001

Reaction score
Did you open the solenoid to check it for debris?

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
The damn things are sealed. They are not like any solenoid that I've ever seen.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you ordered the one I linked you, they're not sealed. Once you remove the coil to access the stem, you'll see two indents in the threaded stem retainer:

There's a tool made for it, but you can usually unscrew it with a screwdriver by tapping in one of the holes to unscrew it.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Thanks. I did get it apart (brilliant flippin design!) but could not find any debris in the first one. I'm not sure that we changed the coil. I'll change that today too. Unfortunately we didn't think to put in a water shut-off when we installed this thing so I have to turn off the water to the auto to work with it. I won't be able to do much this weekend.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Not the coil and the coil is not energized. I can't find anything in the solenoid but can't think of anything else. Like I said they are doing some work on water lines in town but I'm not having trouble with anything else. I'm thinking about just removing the bug pass for the winter. There are no bugs anyway. What would you guys do?