What's new

Lava process

washnshine

Reaction score
I looked into the Simoniz Lava process - lava bath, lava shine, lava rinse and lava seal. From what I have seen on line this is offered as a top package in washes and does not include Hot Wax and Shine. I don't understand how the top package, using lava sealant as the hydrophobic/sealer agent in the package is of higher value than a package using hot wax and shine.

If you check the msd, lava sealant uses mineral seal oil, and from the listed ingredients and price, it does not seem like it is as of the quality of HW&S, nor will it provide the level and longevity of protection.

The lava bath and lava shine are basically the soaps - hi and lo pH. Rinse and cure is just a rinse - can't count that as anything that will add shine or protection to the car.

I get that it is the whole process that you sell in the package and you get three lava applications with different colors and scents, but with this bringing the package price to $18 or $20, customers should be seeing and receiving the highest quality chemicals. I'm not saying they don't get a good product, but as far as I know, HW&S is the premium sealer/shine agent made by simonize and it does not seem to be part of the lava process. Seems to me like a lesser package with HW&S and a rain repellent/Rain X would offer more shine and protection - minus the show.

I use HW&S and can pretty much tell my customers would let me know about it if I had it in a $16 wash and not a $20. Or if they had to add an extra $4 to the $20 package to get it!

Interested in any opinions on this.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score

Not much to comment on except I agree and that the lava process is mainly show business but it seems to be working to get revenues up. As an IBA operator I'm adding to my machines just to keep up with the tunnels.

Remember when tri color was a big deal?

Last edited:

washnshine

Reaction score

Not much to comment on except I agree and that the lava process is mainly show business but it seems to be working to get revenues up. As an IBA operator I'm adding to my machines just to keep up with the tunnels.

Remember when tri color was a big deal?
What are you putting on as a lava product in your IBA? Carnuba wax or a total car gloss/protect rain -x product?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I think the ideal method would be to apply both: The carnuba type product brushed in, then seal it with a RainX just before spot free rinse. Those two products would be pretty expensive to deploy out of a lava arch, so that is why you see a lot of inexpensive low ph shampoos being used as lava. The expensive products could more efficiently be deployed out of standard foamers.

Last edited:
Etowah