What's new

Last Ditch Effort Painting FRP?

cdreed06

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has ever painted FRP panels, I know it sounds stupid but hear me out please. Our truck bay, like the rest of our wash has FRP panels. We cleaned them all this spring and they looked great. 3 days after cleaning we had a asphalt truck spray out in the truck bay and got the FRP panels looking worse than before. I didn't clean them then because I was disgusted! So about a month ago I cleaned it again and the asphalt will not come off at all. I am using a aluminum metal cleaner that really cleans the FRP well. So the asphalt places still stayed but the rest of the walls were clean. Couple days later....you guessed it, more asphalt. So I am not going to replace these panels to have them ruined the next day. I am thinking of taking the panels off completely and just painting the bay a few times a year. But was wondering if anybody ever painted the FRP and if it looked ok and how long it did. Without being at the wash 24/7 signs notices prohibiting this and that just don't work. People will continue to spray out truck beds, ruin foam brushes, dump their trash, etc. Just a fact of life we have to deal with in this business.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I don't think paint will stick to tar anyway.
You need a thinner version of tar to remove
it. Diesel fuel, kerosene, wd40, or i always
used from the body shop stores a nice
wax and grease remover- it didn't seem to
leave that last little bit that discolored it from
the tar. Try a small spot to make sure it doesn't
dissolve your panels.

cdreed06

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate the help. I'll try that before I give up on the panels!

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has ever painted FRP panels, I know it sounds stupid but hear me out please. Our truck bay, like the rest of our wash has FRP panels. We cleaned them all this spring and they looked great. 3 days after cleaning we had a asphalt truck spray out in the truck bay and got the FRP panels looking worse than before. I didn't clean them then because I was disgusted! So about a month ago I cleaned it again and the asphalt will not come off at all. I am using a aluminum metal cleaner that really cleans the FRP well. So the asphalt places still stayed but the rest of the walls were clean. Couple days later....you guessed it, more asphalt. So I am not going to replace these panels to have them ruined the next day. I am thinking of taking the panels off completely and just painting the bay a few times a year. But was wondering if anybody ever painted the FRP and if it looked ok and how long it did. Without being at the wash 24/7 signs notices prohibiting this and that just don't work. People will continue to spray out truck beds, ruin foam brushes, dump their trash, etc. Just a fact of life we have to deal with in this business.
WOW! I have made companies come back and clean up their mess before and even had the owner of the company with the employee in question at my wash to explain what happened and to pay for any damages, customers appreciate the amount of customer service we provide and that we don't let our wash get trashed if we did we would be out of business years ago.

cdreed06

Reaction score
We do have signs and installed cameras a couple months ago. Still trying to get the cameras how we need them to cover all our bases. We do our best to keep our facility clean. Just seems like things go on just after we pull out of the lot...

cdreed06

Reaction score
Thank you Diamond, I didn't have the camera installed in the truck bay when this happened although I do now. I was just looking online at license plate cameras when your reply came! I'll check carwashcamera out. Thanks!

pgrzes

Reaction score
We took down our FRP and painted the walls with M.A.B Seashore White Semi Gloss paint. We paint about every 3-4 years and clean with new wall once or twice a year. The paint is very durable, reasonably priced and the nuwall doesnt bother with the finish. Looks awesome when freshly painted or cleaned.

cdreed06

Reaction score
Thank you everybody. I think I'll try to clean them one more time before I give up. If I can't get them clean I'll take them down and paint.