What's new

Laser 4000 arch turning early

GregF

Reaction score
What would cause the arch to turn early as it moves down the side of a vehicle? It happened several times yesterday and "broke" the 7-hole (horizontal) portion of the arch. As a matter of fact, this is the 2nd time in 3 weeks that this has happened, and at different locations. Instead of the shear pin breaking, the arch broke. Regarding the early turn, my site manager thought it had something to do with the sun beating down on the eyes.

madscientist

Reaction score
is the trolley stopping, and then the arch rotates? or is it rotating as the trolley is still moving?

raisetheprice

Reaction score
It could be a front or rear limit switch going out. Look at the end of the shielded portion, if it's scrapped or damaged, change it. For example, if the switch goes hot at the wrong time, it could be telling the JO that it's home when it's really not, which would tell the arch to turn thinking it's at the front of the vehicle.

I have seen protective caps that shield the front&rear eyes from light and debris that could damage them. They look like they're pvc. I've also seen them used to keep trifoam from blowing down and blocking the eyes ability to see until the foam rinses off.

Last edited:

GregF

Reaction score
Bridge stops, arch rotates and trolley advances into side of vehicle. Happens on the driver's side, rear quarter panel.

GregF

Reaction score
It could be a front or rear limit switch going out. Look at the end of the shielded portion, if it's scrapped or damaged, change it. For example, if the switch goes hot at the wrong time, it could be telling the JO that it's home when it's really not, which would tell the arch to turn thinking it's at the front of the vehicle.

I have seen protective caps that shield the front&rear eyes from light and debris that could damage them. They look like they're pvc. I've also seen them used to keep trifoam from blowing down and blocking the eyes ability to see until the foam rinses off.
we'll check that out. Thanks.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Bridge stops, arch rotates and trolley advances into side of vehicle. Happens on the driver's side, rear quarter panel.
This could actually be the vehicle. I've seen trucks with body lifts cause this. The body lift creates a gap between the bed and the frame just big enough where the rear eyes prematurely see themselves.

jcollins

Reaction score
I hope you've took this machine out of service till you figure the problem out. A problem like this has a potential for a damage claim and if it has happened "several" times, there were "several" unhappy customers that may not be back.
As the bridge moves from the front towards the rear with the trolley on the drivers side, the CPU is looking for an input from the rear limit prox (x-27) or an input from the rear t-bar photo eyes (x-21) to make the bridge stop. The bridge has to move past the mid limit flag (and turn on this input (x-26)) before the CPU will acknowledge an input from the t-bar eyes (x-21). So, If the bridge is stopping and the arch rotating and driving into the rear quarter of the car (after the bridge has moved past the mid limit flag) every time it has happened, I'd lean towards a problem with the rear t-bar eyes.
If the CPU is seeing the x-21 input "on" when the car should be still blocking the eyes, we may have a receiver eye (black cable) shorted out.