What's new

Knocked a Mirror off a Bentley

easywash

Reaction score
We recently knocked a mirror off a Bentley. (PDQ G5 Auto)

Got the bill and it's $1975 to fix it.

So I called my insurance broker and he told me NOT to put it through my insurance.

We have a $1000 deductible and he said my insurer my refuse the renew my policy if I submit such a trivial claim.

He also stated that in order to have my insurer pay we would have to be found at fault by a court of law.

Seems to me that if my machine hit the Bentley it is most likely my fault.

1) Why would my insurer require me to be found at fault by a court of law.
2) It would seem to me this would be a prefect time to use my insurance.

Thoughts?

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
Insurance is there to cover any problem except the one you have. That has been my experience anyway.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Has it knocked mirrors off of other cars---If no- then why would it knock one off the most expensive car.. Just have the person turn it into their insurance and see what happens when it gets back to your insurance. You could always just pay their deductible which is most likely less than yours.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
In Indiana, failure to adjust a claim unreasonably is bad faith and subjects an insurer to increased damages and liability. I cannot imagine an insurance company refusing to pay unless a court tells them they have to if the facts are obvious that it was your fault.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
There are two types of liability coverage, Direct pay and Legal Liability. If you have direct pay, the insurer will pay any claim that you submit. If you have legal Liability, the insurer will only pay claims that you are legally liable for. Your agent may be correct that the insurer may cancel your policy after paying this claim, its their option. I'm not so sure about the claim that you have to found guilty in a court of law for them to pay. I have Legal Liability because with my carrier, I'm the one who gets to decide whether a claim is legit. I can then use the Insurance company to deny some of the frivolous claims that may be made against my wash. Legal liability coverage costs a little more, but in my opinion, its worth it.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Easywash.

First, I hate seeing the really expensive cars come to the wash, although I have yet to have a claim on anything (knock on my wooden head).

Second, I guess they don't make Bentleys like they use to :(

Finally, I have never knocked anything off with my PDQ M5! The fact that you state that you've knocked off mirrors before tells me your side offsets may be set too low. Mine are set at 7.

Sorry, no comments on the insurance side.