What's new

Key Features/Carpet Extractor

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What factors do you consider crucial in choosing a carpet extractor?

~2 or 3 stage motor

~water lift

~ in-line or tank heater

~ psi

~ dual or single heater

~ water capacity

~others?

Conversely, what elements do not matter so much?

Thanks!

soapy

Reaction score
A couple of things you did not mention that I like in a extractor is a clear window on the nozzle and the supply line ran internal on the vac hose. The clear window allows you to see what you are suckking up and if it is clean and dry. Running the supply line inside the hose means a lot less tangles and is much easier to use overall. A 3 stage motor will leave the carpets dryer.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Soapy. What model features those 2 things?

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
One that will pump the liquid back out would be nice.....

soapy

Reaction score
I think you can get those options on several brands. I got mine from Detail Plus.

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
A few of the things I wouldn't do without are high waterlift and an inline heater. I don't like waiting for the water to heat up and I prefer a 2000 watt heater. Although you have to operate it on 2 separate circuits, it is worth it to me to have 200 degree water in 1 minute. As said earlier the more vacuum power the better.

I've been using Cobra extractors by US Products for a long time and have had very good service out of them. I've been considering one of the new extractors with the adjustable p.s.i. pump. On some of the cars I get it would be great to have a little more pressure to blow the sand out.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you can get those options on several brands. I got mine from Detail Plus.
I was looking at the detail plus ones. I like the smaller sizes. My new shop is on the small side, so saving space is an issue.

Think the 3 gallon size would be enough for a van interior or would you need to refill?

http://www.detailplus.com/soil_extractor.htm

Looks like solution hoses are on outside of vac hose on these...

termn8tr

Reaction score
I was looking at the detail plus ones. I like the smaller sizes. My new shop is on the small side, so saving space is an issue.

Think the 3 gallon size would be enough for a van interior or would you need to refill?

http://www.detailplus.com/soil_extractor.htm

Looks like solution hoses are on outside of vac hose on these...
We have been using the 8070 Mytee-Lite ll for 4yrs now and it has been a great machine. With only a 3 gal tank, you will have to refill when doing a mini van especially if it has cloth seats as well. Does a great job, but like a touchfree wash it all depends on what solution you are going to use.

http://www.mytee.com/products/product.php?id=8070

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that I cogitate on it, refilling the tank on big vehicles is better than leaving unused (waste) water in a bigger tank! Maybe a 3 gallon is a 'greener' extractor option. Hmmmm.:):D

soapy

Reaction score
I retro fitted a couple of mytee extractors with detail plus vac hoses that had internal hoses and the clear window on the extractor. THey can be used on any extractor. If you look at the hose on the top of the line extractor detail plus sells you will see the internal hose and clear window set up.

DavidM

Reaction score
I agree with Soapy on the window and internal solution hose. We are using Mytee HP-100 machines. One is probably close to 10 years old and we just bought the second one to replace an old Cobra machine. We use the hoses from Detail Plus. They aren't cheap but after using them I won't go back to a windowless tool.

I like the Mytee machine because it has an inline heater (We do a lot of express detailing and I don't want to have to wait for a tank of water to heat or wait for a tank to heat after a refill) and we also like that they use a single cord instead of two.
The HP60 is identical other than the tank sizes. Kleen-Rite sells both of them.

buda

Reaction score
Choosing a soil extractor

Good question. Have posted on this and written an article on this exact subject for Professional Carwashing & Detailing Magazine, however I am happy to share with you the information here on the Auto Care Forum:

These are the considerations:

a. Price - how much can you afford or do you want to spend? You might want to drive a Mercedes Benz but can only afford a VW. The good units are prices from $650 to over $2.000. Anymore than $2,000 is overkill

b. Size of Solution Tank - How many cars will you be doing per day. That determines the size of the solution tank. The heated units run from 2 gallons up to 13 gallons.
You do not want to have to re-fill the tank in the middle of the work day which stops work and distracts workers.

c. Vacuum Motor Size - basically you will choose between a 2 stage motor and a 3 stage motor. The 3 stage has more suction than a 2 stage, but not to say the 2 stage is not good. It is the difference say between a V-8 and a V-6, they both function well, but the V-8 has more power.

Do not be mislead by dual-motor units they do not produce much more CFM than a single motor. The reason for the dual motor is that in residential cleaning where you might have to increase the length of hose from 20' to 40' or 50' the dual motor will maintain the level of suction/lift with longer hose, but it will not give you double the suction with a shorter hose.

d. Heater - with heat the hotter the better. You can choose from in line heaters or tank heaters. MOst everyone does for the in line heater today.
They range in watt size from 1000 watts to 2400 watts. So the more watts, the hotter the solution and the better cleaning you get. Anything at 1200 watts is good.

e. Pump - they can dazzle you with units that go up to 400 psi but all you need is 100 - 150 psi.

f. Hose - most come standard with solution line strapped to vacuum hose, but you can get, for easier use, a HIDE A HOSE assembly where the hot solution hose is inside the vacuum hose. Worth every extra penny you pay

g. Nozzle - you want a stainless steel nozzle with a view window. Stainless because they do not wear out and view window to see if you have cleaned the dirt out.

h. Enclosed Spray Tip - some nozzles have an enclosure around the spray tip so that the solution sprays only the width of the vacuum nozzle.

That is it, buy what you can afford.

Buy what your volume demands in terms of size

And choose options as you do on a car, they are not necessarily needed, but they sure make the ride more enjoyable, same with the options I mentioned to you

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can offer any other assisance on choosing an extractor

Bud Abraham

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Based on features, size and price, I bought a Mytee Lite II from Kleen Rite.

Their cost was about $100 below list, including shipping.

In-line heater, plenty of lift for me, good psi at the wand.

Best of all, my employees and I love using it and it gets stuff nice and clean!