What's new

Keep entrance door open or closed in good weather

mfbanks223

Reaction score
Ok here is the deal we have wyndstar doors on entrance and exit of our automatic. My dad and I own the place together and he wants to keep the entrance door closed 24/7 because of a few reasons. The main reason is it keeps overspray off the person at the auto cashier waiting. The other reason is it keeps people from pulling in before it prompts them to. I don't want to because I think closed doors mean closed car wash. We do have signs on the clear portion of the door that sais "Door opens automatically" The only time I want the doors down is when it is below freezing. What do you guys think.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Definitely leave the door open. I've had many customers ask me if the wash is closed when the entrance door is closed, even though the door says otherwise. I wonder how many people drive on by without stopping? Closing the exit door will help keep overspray contained since it will cut down on the "wind tunnel" effect if it bothers him that much. I've got seven IBAs and have never had a customer complain about overspray in the 18 years I've had them. He's creating a negative situation out of a non-issue. Trust me, as much as he tries to idiot proof things it's a losing proposition, a better idiot comes along every day.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I would have to agree with you. Unless the overspray is a real issue and you don't have good lights for letting them know when to enter, I'd leave them open. If they really need to be closed get a bigger sign saying that the doors open when you insert money.

chiggybite

Reaction score
Leave them open. I agree too many people think it is closed when they are down, and we all know people will not read any signs. Also the overspray i feel helps to start soften any bird droppings or caked on dirt on the next car waiting.

lag

Reaction score
Open , unless it is so windy that not all the soap is reaching the car.

Gabriel

Reaction score
It all depends--do you want at least 50% of your business to just drive on by!!!!!

washboy

work in progress
Reaction score
I agree with everyone leave them open. I have a wash without doors and get alot of outspray, thought about putting them in. If they are using my vacs they will need a wash, otherwise they are in a bay washing. I also have the wash with dad. My iba is a touch free, the best thing I did was put out a wheel cleaning bucket with a brush. Just can't leave it out. Also a guy just put one by my house and keeps the doors closed when not attended and my neighbors say they are out of buissness because the doors are closed.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Doors should be open unless there is a freeze threat!!! I even open mine during good winter days when the temperature approaches freezing. This is a no brainer. Tell dad you need to get your way on this one!

Dirt

Laser Blade
Reaction score
On very windy days, I'll leave the back door down because the foam bath won't reach the car. Thats only when it's 50* or below. Anything above that and the doors are open always. By august, I even forget what they look like closed. Over spray is not the same to someone that is sitting in a car, as oppsed to someone standing there watching it. Might even be good when they put there wipers on and say "glad we're washing the car. Look how dirty it is." Using doors to try to cure ineffective stop and go lights really don't make any sense to me.