What's new

Keep breaking in my vending machine

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
I have a shurvend Visi combo in a steel cage....I love it, however for the last month or so someone keeps breaking in the coin return area and getting to the money with a magnet or some tool. I keep fixing it, have installed a camera inside, posted a notice to the crooks, and even ordered more secure parts from the manufacturer...he keeps getting in. I was thinking of welding in a different homemade coin return shoot that extends the money from dropping into the coin return area to outside the vendor...I also thought of making it exact change only and completely blocking out the coin return slot....I have a bill acceptor in the machine which makes it a pain for the customers....any suggestions?....The thief comes different days and nights at different times and wears a hoodie.....any suggestions what to do???

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I guess shooting the guy in the hoody is out of the question as it is still causing the guy in florida too many problems. I suspect you are giving out the canadian quarters as they are magnetic. Any way to just give out the loonies or possibly tokens, only have to make all prices $1 increments. You might be able to modify the coin shoot so that the inside is alot smaller to stop his coat hanger or whatever tool they are using. You might call mars also and see if they have suggestions or parts to buy.

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
Refund Cup

Coincarwash.ca

I'm not sure I understand exactly how the hoodie is getting the money. Is he breaking the bottom of the changer and emptying a tube or tubes? The refund slot has to be left open for customers to get change, so it is not so easy to fix. They are making this refund cup out of plastic now rather than sheet metal like they used to do. Do you have a plastic coin cup?

I think we can still get one of the older sheet metal cups for your vendor which has a metal baffle in it so people are not supposed to be able to get a screw driver or tool up to break the bottom of the changer. I have only heard of this happening to customers one or two times over the years; maybe this guy has made a special tool to do the damage and steal money. We may have to do a redesign to eliminate this problem. PM me some more information and/or pix so we can get this fixed.

Bubbles,

On the Junior in-the-wall vendor like you have, the changer is remote from the coin cup so this can not happen.

Uncle Sam :(

Kevin James

Reaction score
The problem is MONEY!! We were getting broken into pretty regularly. When we started pulling the money every day the problem went away. If there isn’t any money in the equipment there isn’t much incentive for the bad guys to do their thing. Or you can go to all Tokens, Credit cards and not accept any other coinage. Make your vendor accept only Tokens, make all your vending items the same price and not give any change. As long as there is real money in the equipment the thieves will be coming thinking that they will soon hit that soft spot. For those of you who don’t pull their money every day you’re asking for trouble, it’s just a matter of time before you get hit.

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
I ordered the steel change compartment instead of the plastic one that was in there originally. The thief used a piece of Steel rebar to get in that one as well.
He is pushing aside the coin shoot and breaking through the coin cup and into the money drop container... He will keep coming back.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I ordered the steel change compartment instead of the plastic one that was in there originally. The thief used a piece of Steel rebar to get in that one as well.
He is pushing aside the coin shoot and breaking through the coin cup and into the money drop container... He will keep coming back.
Steel rebar....does he wear gloves? I would mount some bare wire inside that will only be contacted if he returns with the rebar. That would light him up!

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
Couple of Options

coincarwash.ca,

You most likely replaced the plastic coin cup with what the vendor company calls a "vandal resistant" coin cup made out of sheet metal. It is not very heavy steel and the "deflector" in it can be blown out using rebar (in this case) or a heavy screw driver. We can fix that deflector so it can't be blown out, but your thief might be persistant and do other damage to the coin cup area.

The other option we can offer you is to go completely cashless in the vendor using the wireless Coinco Arrow Credit Card system which can be set up to take Canadian money and uses the Roger's communication system. There is a hole already in the vendor to receive this system and the reader can be surface mounted on the mask using 4 small screws and drilling a hole in the mask. The Arrow system sells for U.S.$375 and we can give you instructions to help you install it. The Arrow system allows you to go online with the vendor using a smart phone and see what is going on in real time.

If either of these options is one that you want to do, email us and we will get things started.

Uncle Sam :)