What's new

J E Adams Vacs and Imonex

Bill Manke

Reaction score
Ok so I bought 2 carpet shampoo vacs, 2 Fragrance vacs ,and 4 3 motor vacs.I get them and they have Imonex electronic coin acceptors. So I thought they would be ok. Well all they are is a glorified coin acceptor that accepts quarters, dollar coins, 2 different size tokens. Oh wait they also accept slugs really good. Now I know I probably should have done more research into the Imonex acceptors but I didn't. So now we will be replacing the acceptors with slugbuster III. Ok now these vacs aren't the basic vacs. but the acceptors are from drop shelf vendor cheapness. Another problem with the acceptors is that with no power .the acceptors steal the coins. not good.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I looked at those at the ICA . I think for $5K they should have a better acceptor. They must have a reason why they install those acceptors , besides low cost. I am just converting my vacs over to IDX and SB2 to take my new $1 tokens. To put the 24v transformer, a mercury relay and acceptor in the space allotted is a little tight. But if i can do it !!!

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd never seen the Imonex electronic model. Looks like there's nothing electronic about the coin acceptance, it's just a photo eye for the switch, and it's purely mechanical in how it distinguishes coins. They aren't cheap either; the model you have costs more than an IDX MA800.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Bill lets go over to the customer review area and warn others of your findings!!!

mjc3333

Reaction score
I don't know why all new vac manufacturers would even think of using a non electronic acceptor.

I just replaced 22 vacs with JE Adams last year. Every vac was outfitted with a Slugbuster II's.

The old vacs were old painted Monorail G-2's with the mechanical quarter rejector. After 2 or 3 years, the rejector's jammed, stole credits, and needed to be adjusted. Pain to deal with.

The new SB II's work great. Easy to set, and easy to fix.

Bill Manke

Reaction score
MJC3333
Did you order yours that way or did they just come like that? I know in the past with my Industrial vacs I had to order them that way. Then my Doyle and Fragramatics came with multi coin acceptors. It is kinda deceiving the brochures say electronic multi coin acceptors. I would have ordered with different acceptors if I would have known.

mjc3333

Reaction score
MJC3333
Did you order yours that way or did they just come like that? I know in the past with my Industrial vacs I had to order them that way. Then my Doyle and Fragramatics came with multi coin acceptors. It is kinda deceiving the brochures say electronic multi coin acceptors. I would have ordered with different acceptors if I would have known.
Bill

I did quite a bit of research before I landed on the JE Adams vacs with my particular combination.

The basic vacs you see in the brochures are just that....basic.

I ordered my vacs with the Slugbuster II, Medeco lock on top, American puck lock on the cash drawer, cash drawer SS cover with security bar and pick proof Abus lock, 3 motors, and security bar over trash clean-out doors.

This added over $700 to the original price, but in the long run will be well worth it. I did all of this even though these vacs are just that..vacs. Basic put your quarters or tokens in and vacuum.

I could not justify spending over $3500 to $4000 for the combination vacs. In my market it would take 20 years to see a return on that investment. Still, for that kind of price, all combo vacs should come with a multi coin acceptor that is 100% electronic.

Mike

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I looked at those at the ICA . I think for $5K they should have a better acceptor. They must have a reason why they install those acceptors , besides low cost. I am just converting my vacs over to IDX and SB2 to take my new $1 tokens. To put the 24v transformer, a mercury relay and acceptor in the space allotted is a little tight. But if i can do it !!!
You could put both the transformer and mercury relay on top of the vac where the motors are.