What's new

Is this ash from Iceland (Eyjafjallajökull)?

MEP001

Reaction score
After some wind and rain the night before, this is what was coating all the vehicles I saw:

The last time I saw something like that was three days after Mt. St. Helens erupted. It looks green but it's not; it's gray and very gritty.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
You would think your local new media,would say something if it was. Looks like a good reason to wash!!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That looks exactly like what I have been praying for.;):D

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I lived in Denver when Mt St Helens blew. We had a lot of volcanic ash come our way. Dealing with that fallout was not easy. If you have a friction wash you need to make sure if possible there is either some prepping with a high pressure gun or a strong prep arch to remove or loosen some of the grit on the surface. It tended to stick on the surface and became a problem when friction hit it. In some cases it causes a lot of scratches. Don't think there would be a problem with touch free if you have a good high pressure rinse.

MEP001

Reaction score
We had pollen two weeks before, and it was yellow (oak pollen). This stuff is definitely gray, it just looks green in the photo because of the trees reflecting light.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I don't think so. Where Iceland is situated after making it past all of Europe it would have to make is all the way through Russia before it would make the US, then go all the way across the US to get to the East coast. Most likely will not even make it through Russia.

soapy

Reaction score
I think that we are getting some of the ash here in the Northwest. I am getting similar cars to what Mep1 showed and is is not pollen. We are still freezing at night so things have not been budding yet. It looks similar to what we saw from Mt. ST. Helens but a little bit lighter. It is tough to get off even with soap setting set high. I think it falls as an acidic compound and looks much like mud rain that the southwest sees but no with the red color.

MEP001

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking - we get mud rain on rare occasions but it's always been red. We got another big hit of it a week after the first time - whatever it is, it's really good for business.

I saved some of it and I ordered a 1200x microscope to take a better look at it.