What's new

Indoor Self-Serve/Laundromat

steve01

Reaction score
Greetings! I am not new to the forum, but am new to posting. I have a question best answered by you guys.

I own a 1.5 acre gas station in the center of a town of 70,000 in Minnesota (6 pumps, 2400 sq ft store, 2 IBA's) and there is a 5400 sq ft, nice looking building on 1 acre virtually in my parking lot for sale. It is currently set up as a 4-bay express lube that does lackluster business, and a large open-bay rear area that does nothing. I envision the front lube area being converted to a laundromat and the rear area (45' x 60') being set up as a temperature-controlled, fully in-door self serve wash area with 5 bays. I would sell carwash and laundry product out of the waiting area, and have an attendant on duty. The pits under the lube bays could be converted to a game room with coin-op dart boards and a pool table.

The building could be had for around 500-600K with property taxes around 10K/yr. Obviously I have to control costs setting the place up, but I also would want it with premium equipment. There are two older 8 bay S/S washes about 2 miles on either side of me, and two older E/E tunnels about a mile on either side. I am surrounded by 2 grocery stores, 2 large hotels, civic center, and a university of 15,000 students right up the street. I currently average about 600-650 customers per day. Does this sound financially feasible to you owners?

One more thing - I know most carwash owners don't like c-store carwashes, but I take my washes extremely seriously. I keep my place super-clean and fully functional. I've taken a lot of money and time rebuilding my customer base the previous owner lost for the store. Thanks in advance for any input!

steve01

Reaction score
Bakeralvin - good point! I have considered self-storage and I'm not sure the ROI would support that facility. There is a 200 unit self-storage facility 2 blocks away from me as well. I was looking for something to increase traffic flow to my site, as well as give customers plenty of options to spend money on.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I personally am a big fan of diversification as long as you don't neglect any other aspects of your business. IMO, you should sit down and go over the numbers and see if this even appears to be feasible and whether or not you can possibly get a decent ROI.

steve01

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore - Thanks! As you mentioned, diversification is important, and I would not get involved if I couldn't do it right and keep it right. Some of the things I need to know is what is the per-machine average income per laundomat washer/dryer and what is the potential of an indoor 5-bay self-serve with all the goodies? I know $1500/bay/mo is the average for traditional S/S bays, but an indoor S/S? I have a good idea of the expenses, and so far I'm just a c-store/gas/IBA guy, so I was hoping for some of your experience to clue me in on the income potential.