What's new

In need of a good Upholstery Cleaner

washlady06

Reaction score
We recently purchase a heated carpet extractor and love it! PowrFlite 1350. We have a local chemical company who we were trying out and have been using their cleaner it cleans well but doesn't give it a good clean after smell.

Can anyone recommend a good upholstery cleaner for an extractor that smells good too?!

Thank you,
Ang

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
we make our own, but FYI, as far as i know, you clean the carpets with the chemical, and only use water in your extractor, or you can ruin it.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If your extractor can use chemicals any low foaming extractor shampoo could be used. I know that the ZEP low foaming shampoo at Home Depot works well. It really doesn't leave a fragrance behind but I never noticed any bad odor either. In most cases I think you still need to pretreat stubborn spots with it.

soapy

Reaction score
I have been using kleenrites premium line for a couple of months and it leaves a nice smell. I also got some of their deodorizer that I can add for the really tough jobs.

buda

Reaction score
Soapy

An extractor is only part of the carpet cleaning process:

a. 85% of the soil in carpets is dry and you remove it with a very thorough vacuuming before putting any moisture into carpet fibers

b. 15% is oily soil on the fibers.

c. After vacuuming you remove stains & spots using appropriate stain remover chemicals: protein, tar & grease; rust; red dyes; coffee/tea and pet stains and a steamer preferably.

d. They pre-spray with a foaming carpet shampoo and let dwell to emulsify the oily soil on carpet fibers.

e. Then friction scrub with hand brush or rotary shampooer

g. Now you extract to remove the residual stain remover chemical, oily soil and shampoo residue. You can either use plain hot water or add an extractor chemical which is high dilution, like 64 to 1 to rinse clean.

There is two camps on this, plain water or extractor shampoo, it seems to be a matter of preference.

However, do not think you can clean carpets with only an extractor you have to follow this procedure which is the process advocated by the Carpet Cleaning Institute of America.

Regards

soapy

Reaction score
Bud, I do use the method you outlined. It is the same one that you described in detailing instructions I bought from you. I was only answering the question about a nuetral smelling carpet extracting shampoo. I was not outlining the method of cleaning that should be used.

buda

Reaction score
Sorry I did not recognize your name, although I did wonder about "soapy."

You have a couple of choices with regard to the smell. You can get the company to put a fragrance (lemon is often best) in both the foaming carpet shampoo and the extractor shampoo. Or you can spray a fragrance in the car (new car or leather is best) after the shampoo.

Or, you can purchase our carpet & upholstery shampoo and extractor shampoo which as far as I know, does not leave a chemical smell in the interior. At least no customers have complained.

Bud