What's new

In Bay Signs for Count Up Credit Cards

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I am changing my self serve credit card system to count up, rather than count down. I need new signs explaining how it works and thought that some of you might be able to post a picture of what your sign says.

I'm thinking something like: Credit Card System - $5.00 initial purchase = 8mins time, system will continue to add time until STOP button is pushed. $15.00 max charge.

Sounds too wordy. Do any of you have a better option that you can post?

Thanks

ScottV

mjc3333

Reaction score
I am changing my self serve credit card system to count up, rather than count down. I need new signs explaining how it works and thought that some of you might be able to post a picture of what your sign says.

I'm thinking something like: Credit Card System - $5.00 initial purchase = 8mins time, system will continue to add time until STOP button is pushed. $15.00 max charge.

Sounds too wordy. Do any of you have a better option that you can post?

Thanks

ScottV
Scott

What CC system are you using?
How long did you have the system count down?
Why are you changing from count down to count up?
What signage did you have for the count down system?

Kirb

Reaction score
Mine is simple

Step #1 Swipe card
Step#2 Begin wash
Step #3 Push stop

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I'm not sure how your system works but if it is like Etowah Valley's I would suggest the following. You most likely would want to address the fact that their credit/debit card will be authorized for the $15 and that money may be held for up to 48 hrs. Our maximum is $25 and I was shocked at how many people check their card charges within a few hours. Until I made some mention of it on our instructional sticker, I was getting alot of calls wondering why their card was charged $25 when they only used $5 or so. You'll also want to mention the authorization because there will be people who use a debit card that doesn't have $15 available, they will only spend $5, yet the $15 may cause them to overdraft.:(

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I would never try to convey the debit card "hold" on a sign. It's hard enough to explain it in person. I would guess that when you state on a sign that you are holding X amt. of money many people just won't use their card. What it says is this "Give me 20 bucks today to wash your car. If you don't use it all, just go ahead and go home and I'll get your change to you tomorrow. You can trust me, I just don't trust you." IMO, this is something that just needs to be explained as needed.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I use Etowah Valley's system as well in count up mode. I just made some signs that said swipe card, turn to stop when finished washing, there is a $3.00 minimum and a $10.00 maximum, thank you for choosing xyz. I did intially get calls from people asking why they got charged $11.00 (pre-auth amount), but a little education of the customer has reduced the number of calls. Matter of fact, haven't gotten any in a couple months now. It amazes me also how many people run right home and check their credit card charges. Guess I live a little different. If I had to watch it that close, then I probably don't need one. Anyway, that's my input on the matter....keep the signs simple and to the point. Most people don't read them anyway.

I had a customer call the other day wanting a refund because she put a $10.00 bill in the self serve meter and said that she didn't want that much time. She said she saw on the meter that it accepted $10 bills, but did not see "bay time only, no change given". I told her nicely that I will refund money for faulty equipment, but not for her not reading the sign. She told me where to go and said she would never be back. Funny how the "accepts $1, $5, and $10 is one line above "bay time only, no change given". Not my faulty you can't read.

Lighthouse

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
mjc333 I currently have Carolina Pride's SS equipment and purchased the Mercury Payment system through them. It was set up with count down and the first swipe was $5.00 for 8 minutes. You could swipe your card after that and be charged an additional $1.00 / 96 seconds each time until you were done.

The system is flexible and allows me to change those parameters, but also allows me to change to the count up option. I just think with all the commercial traffic we get at our wash (natural gas drillers, contractors, etc.) that it would be easier to swipe the card once and keep washing until you are done. When the customer has to go back every 96 seconds and make the purchase decision to swipe their card again and again, it seems like that is an incentive to rush them.
Just my opinion....

ScottV

Jeff_L

Reaction score
IMO, the count down method goes against what credit card washing is all about. I use my system in the count up method, that way the customer is not racing the clock like they were when using quarters/tokens. Swipe their card, start washing, push stop when finished washing. This way they only pay for what they use, and they don't have to run around the car quickly with a dab of soap here and there just to get everything in before the buzzer sounds.