What's new

Importance of offering Tri-Foam and Spot Free?

slash007

Reaction score
On one of my washes I offer both tri-foam and spot-free for the self serve bays but neither gets used that much. This location is generally slow and the clientele are not big spenders, so I am not sure how much I can use that as a gauge. I have been considering adding one or both to my other wash which is in a much better area and busier than the wash that has them. I am wondering what your experience was in regards to usage of both or either option? I am sure that it will vary for everyone, but I was trying to get a feel for how much they were used in general to try and gauge how much it would be worth spending $ wise to add one or both options. I am extremely limited on space in my ER, so I am not sure if I can even add spot free, but I have been trying to find creative ways to do so if I decide to go that route. One thing to consider is that I do have air-dryers that are used quite a bit at this location, so I'm wondering if adding spot-free might take a big chunk out of the air-dryer usage (which I'm sure costs less to operate) and make any gains from the spot-free users end up a wash with the loss of revenue from the dryers? Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

MEP001

Reaction score
I wouldn't operate a wash without spot-free. About half of customers use it. We don't have dryers, so I can't say if it will take away from them or not - I can see where it might, but I doubt it would affect them much.

About a third of our customers use the tri-foam. I run Simoniz product with it labeled as such on the selection in the bay. If I had to guess off the top of my head, I'd say the system pays for itself over each year.

As far as room, the biggest problem will be the RO tank. My advice would be to oversize the production system so you can use a smaller tank. Another option would be to put the tank on the roof.

slash007

Reaction score
Does anyone here have tri-foam in the bays and not use a 180 boom? I have seen some pictures of washes that just use a swivel and then the curly hose. I was wondering if anyone had that setup and if they could comment on how it works for them? Thanks.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I have tri-foam and don't use a 180° boom. My booms mount on the wall with my FB. Basically the booms lay back against the wall opposing each other. I also use curley hoses on the Tri-Foam. They can be a pain sometimes. They get knotted up easily. Just another thing I take care of during my walk throughs, just like vac hoses. Occasionally, not even once a month, somebody tangles the FB hose and the Tri-foam hose. But then again I've found all three hoses wound up in the middle! Just part of doing business with John "Q" when your not there 100% of the time. All in all...It works for me. Not the best, but I don't have room for more 180° booms or want to invest in a dual 180° boom set up. I might get one curly hose tangled every other day. Not bad considering all the other issues we have to deal with @ the CW....

slash007

Reaction score
I have tri-foam and don't use a 180° boom. My booms mount on the wall with my FB. Basically the booms lay back against the wall opposing each other. I also use curley hoses on the Tri-Foam. They can be a pain sometimes. They get knotted up easily. Just another thing I take care of during my walk throughs, just like vac hoses. Occasionally, not even once a month, somebody tangles the FB hose and the Tri-foam hose. But then again I've found all three hoses wound up in the middle! Just part of doing business with John "Q" when your not there 100% of the time. All in all...It works for me. Not the best, but I don't have room for more 180° booms or want to invest in a dual 180° boom set up. I might get one curly hose tangled every other day. Not bad considering all the other issues we have to deal with @ the CW....
2Biz, if you could post a picture of your setup I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I just happened to have a picture on my PC @ work...

slash007

Reaction score
I just happened to have a picture on my PC @ work...

Thanks for the picture. Isn't that basically two 180 booms? Maybe I don't know what a 180 boom is? I was looking for a setup that didn't use a boom at all. I saw a picture of one that just used a swivel.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Sorry bout that. I misinterpreted your original post. Been a long day!!!! Please disregard my posts!

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Does anyone here have tri-foam in the bays and not use a 180 boom? I have seen some pictures of washes that just use a swivel and then the curly hose. I was wondering if anyone had that setup and if they could comment on how it works for them? Thanks.
I don't even use a swivel. Just a bulkhead fitting through the roof deck then the curly hose. Functionally works fine - you can easily reach all corners of a car and hose doesn't get tangled with others.

The only issue (and I'm not sure it is the curly hose fault) is that I've heard that curly hoses encourage the liquid and air to separate by the time the foam gets to the tip and causes the tri foam to sputter. I have a hard time keeping the balance correct. Again I'm not sure if it the curly hoses fault and I've never put a straight hose on to check.

MEP001

Reaction score
The only issue (and I'm not sure it is the curly hose fault) is that I've heard that curly hoses encourage the liquid and air to separate by the time the foam gets to the tip and causes the tri foam to sputter. I have a hard time keeping the balance correct. Again I'm not sure if it the curly hoses fault and I've never put a straight hose on to check.
I think it's the size of the hose. The smaller diameter seems to force the foam to separate into clumps.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I went to the next size smaller tip which helped smooth out the sputtering. Its more of a spray now. The original tip was a 4050. I went to a 4040. There is some dialog about it here: http://www.autocareforum.com/showth...ush-plumbing-Attn-2Biz/page7&highlight=nozzel