What's new

Ideas? Having hot water shortages during busy times.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
During busy times I'm experiencing hot water shortages in my dog wash. I was wondering what you guys thought could be a remedy?

Some kind of pressurized heated holding tank? Something else?

Thanks.

PrecisionPyro

Reaction score
Point of use tankless might be a buffer for you. It would not kick in until water temp drops below set point, then will kick back off as temps come up or customer ends wash. They offer smaller 110v ones for a couple hundred bucks.

OurTown

Reaction score
During busy times I'm experiencing hot water shortages in my dog wash. I was wondering what you guys thought could be a remedy?

Some kind of pressurized heated holding tank? Something else?

Thanks.

What do you have now and is it dedicated to the dog wash or integrated into the car wash?

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd add another unit for just the dog wash. That's where you really don't want to run out of hot water. The car wash customers most likely will never notice. This is assuming you're not running low on flow. If that's the case, you might want to add a couple units or a storage tank and a recirculation pump to the heater.

soapy

Reaction score
You might also check to see if you could eliminate some functions that are taking hot water that may not really need it. Hot water RInse?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I'd add another unit for just the dog wash. That's where you really don't want to run out of hot water. The car wash customers most likely will never notice. This is assuming you're not running low on flow. If that's the case, you might want to add a couple units or a storage tank and a recirculation pump to the heater.
The thing that is puzzling to me is that I have ~600g of HW storage. During busy times I lose not only HW but also pressure in the dog wash.

The only other things that are using HW is : HW holding tank and the HW tank for chemicals for my touchless

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If I send straight hot water only to areas I will mot have enough - however water does not to be that hot. Just warm to the touch is enough, so I "T" in cold water that I can adjust thru a gate valve blending im less cold in colder weather and more in warmer weather. This reduces the Hot water volume being used.

MEP001

Reaction score
The thing that is puzzling to me is that I have ~600g of HW storage. During busy times I lose not only HW but also pressure in the dog wash.
You'll need to find the point of loss in pressure. It could be from the city, after a failing RPZ valve, your softener, or even a bad gate valve. I always start with gauges on the RPZ valve which will immediately confirm or eliminate city supply and the valve.

Starrwash

Reaction score
I purchased the small 110v electric tankless hot water heater at Home Depot and installed close to the dog wash. So I take hot water from primary heater pipi to small electric and to dog wash. No delay in water temperature at wash.