What's new

Ideal After-Care Bay

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
I'd appreciate some feedback regarding what you consider an "IDEAL" after-care area for express detailing.:);)

Size?
Equipment?
Layout?
Capabilities (what can be done in this area)?
Staffing?
Floor? (concrete, blacktop, stone, plastic grid-blocks)

Thanks...

-Steve

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You mean you don't address this in your $150 book?

I'll give my opinions but not for free.:D

I'm open to barter!:)

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Humor... or Sarcasm?

I'm simply seeking evaluative information. ;)

From an assessment standpoint, it's constructive to research how various operators have implemented their after-care process. It is one of many ways to evaluate how different operators have addressed space utilization as well as practices and process.

As I travel the industry and observe as well as instruct, it makes sense to also overlap what I see... with what others are doing. That's how cross-sections are gathered. It is part of the Kaizen engineering process... and it will provide valuable instructional information. By identify existing deficiencies, some operators could immediately benefit from sensible "best practices" options and alternatives.:eek:

Just like many others on this forum, I've shared information that probably enlightens... and made things a little bit better for other readers. It's how we help each other. In fact, I've responded to many of your postings with advice that I felt was appreciated. :D

Life... is a day-to-day learning process. We research by observing... as well as by asking questions and gathering feedback.

Make sense? :rolleyes:

-Steve;)

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fine. Here's my free advice. Keep in mind not all of these ideas are implemented at my own shop, but most are and others are 'in the works'.

Bay size: 15'x32', 10' overhead door.

flooring; concrete with 'runners' on either side of the vehicle spot, either industrial carpeting, non-roll-up rubber mats or snap together plasitc tiles.

equipment; extractor, wet vac on a rubbermaid janitors cart, air compressor, tank sprayers (for g.p., dressing and window cleaner), gravity fed paint gun for express polish application.

more on the bay; should have plenty of NATURAL light, plus hi-output fluorescents. white painted walls down to 3" above the floor. paint with washable paint (very crucial if it's to be kept clean).

layout: vac carts are movable and can store your sprayers, chems, detail tools and trash containers. That's what I love about these carts. Compressor wherever it's out of the way. Same with extractor, though if it's a tiny one it could also be stored on the cart as well as a fan and ozone generator.

What's done in this bay; all aftercare: express wax, shampoo, window cleaning, dressing of all types.

what else did you ask about?

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Better Focus

Thanks!:)

A few relavent other things are:

1. Do you use pneumatic tools, or just use air for water displacement, spray gun and purging interior space?

2. Floor drain(s)? Water supply location(s)?

3. How many vacuums and shampooers per bay?

4. Did you bisect the individual work area for duplication on each side, and replication in each bay?

5. How many detailers work on a vehicle at once?

6. How many electrical outlets and air drops per bay, and where are they located?

7. Ventilation: Heat, fresh air and cooling?

8. How many electrical cords, vacuum hoses and air connections?

Again, THANKS!:D

-Steve

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Turn-Around Time

One final flurry of questions. Given your facility and process, how much time is required to complete the following::confused:

1. Express Wax (hand or orbital)?

2. Interior Extreme-Clean?

3. Carpet Shampoo? Do you return it to the customer damp to the touch?

4. Buff & Shine?

5. Air Duct Sanitizing?

6. Interior Shampoo

7. Leather Conditioning?

If you wouldn't mind, list the other services you offer, taking what average duration and in what format? :confused:

A: EXPRESS (... and how many minutes... after the Wash?)

B:EXPRESS-PLUS (... and how many minutes... after the wash?)

Once more... THANKS!:D

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. air for blow guns, sprayers only.

2.. no floor drain; illegal in massachusetts.

3. 4 outlets per bay. 2 on a side, 1 at each end.

4. 2 vacs on carts, 1 extractor to share.

5. yes, bisect the car.

6. My bay has 3 large windows for light and fresh air, plus heat and a/c.