What's new

I removed my dumpster today

Burky

Reaction score
Any updates on long term effect of no trash cans? Particularly at the vacuums...

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Any updates on long term effect of no trash cans? Particularly at the vacuums...
Sequoia announced some time back that he had sold his wash, so he may not be watching the forum anymore. I know this may not be specifically directed at him, but I thought I would throw that out there.

sparkey

Reaction score
No long term effects here, just less headache. Last year was my first full year with no trash cans and my income actually went up. Hard to say if it would have went up more if I had trash cans, but I am happy with the outcome.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
What do you do when someone does leave a bunch of nasty trash? Do you haul it home?

OASIS WASH

Reaction score
I too went trashless about 3 months ago. I do get some small items left around the vac islands every few days (even with signs!) but still much better than 4 trash cans full of trash every 2-3 days! I couldnt be happier with my decision and so far only slightly less income in vacs but its also getting hotter here in florida over the past 3 months so that too could be the result.

wyatt

Reaction score
I've had mine out at two different locations for over a year and it has worked well. Revenue went up and maybe had 5 complaints total.

sparkey

Reaction score
What do you do when someone does leave a bunch of nasty trash? Do you haul it home?
I still have a locked dumpster on site. I more less use it for my trash now. My storage units sit directly behind my wash so its mostly storage unit trash that go in it now. Its wise not to have a dumpster at a self storage site or your storage customers think they can throw all their unwanted stuff in it when they move out. I do from time to time tell regular customers they can pull the lid up a little and put small trash in it if they need to. I can't remember ever getting nasty trash left since the trash cans disappeared.

Carwashlady

Reaction score
Got rid of our cans 4 years ago at our most trashed up wash, then followed suit last year at our other small wash and our biggest wash that includes 2 automatics. BEST.DECISION.EVER. All 3 still have a dumpster that the customers can use and the washes have never looked better. Business has continued to grow, while the blood pressure has not. Still have all the other usual aggravations, but not having the trash to deal with anymore is huge at keeping some sanity. 😊👍

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Got rid of our cans 4 years ago at our most trashed up wash, then followed suit last year at our other small wash and our biggest wash that includes 2 automatics. BEST.DECISION.EVER. All 3 still have a dumpster that the customers can use and the washes have never looked better. Business has continued to grow, while the blood pressure has not. Still have all the other usual aggravations, but not having the trash to deal with anymore is huge at keeping some sanity. 😊👍
me thinks ... you have been lucky ... that you have not had dead fish 😒 & other horrific placements in your unlocked??? dumpsters. We make sure our 4 yd dumpster is locked ... especially during the summer months!

Carwashlady

Reaction score
me thinks ... you have been lucky ... that you have not had dead fish 😒 & other horrific placements in your unlocked??? dumpsters. We make sure our 4 yd dumpster is locked ... especially during the summer months!
Only dead fish we’ve had in my tenure were some left in the cans we no longer have out. Gross. My first lesson in “if there are flies a buzzin, be wary.. & don’t breathe thru your nose.” 😒

Carwashlady

Reaction score
I will say this, although we have had a good outcome in removing our cans and leaving access to the dumpsters, there is no doubt that this is a case by case thing. It depends on so many factors as to whether or not it could work at any given location. Done holding our breath at location one.. But it’s still young (just over a year) at locations 2&3, so we’re still watching & waiting. The customers need to be happy and the trash needs to be handled in a way that is good for everyone. No way will we accept a loss in business just to have less crap to deal with, but it’s really turned things around for us bc there aren’t as many people who come in to trash & dash, while tearing up equipment on their way out. I would just say take your time figuring out how and when to do it & then get ready to change direction if it’s not working out the way you’d hoped. You’ll never know though, until you try. People are a lot less willing to get in the dumpsters around here, while the cans are fair game. I have no explanation for this, but it’s the way it is.. for us anyway 🤷🏼‍♀️ Good luck!

Etowah