What's new

Hubble Metal Halide Lights...

Twodose

Reaction score
What is going on when a Hubble MH 175w Light keeps coming on then turning back off again, is this the bulb or the ballast?

They are the the probe start and not the newer pulse start. :D

MEP001

Reaction score
Usually the ballast, specifically the thermal protection.

Randy

Reaction score
When was the last time you changed the bulbs? We re-lamp our washes every 13 months. You?d be surprise at how much the bulbs degrade in just 13 months. In your case I?d bet you?ve got a bad ballast. If you?ve got the yellowed plastic lens, I?d replace them with glass.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you do need a ballast, I'd recommend 1000bulbs.com and order the Sola brand. So far they've been every bit as good as the Advance brand from Grainger and are a lot cheaper even with the shipping. They can special order the individual components of the ballast too - chances are you just need the capacitor, which is where the thermal protection is.

I would have posted that last part earlier but I wanted to check and be sure first.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Randy, are you aware of anywhere that you can buy just the glass lenses? I haven't had any luck looking around.

Twodose

Reaction score
When was the last time you changed the bulbs? We re-lamp our washes every 13 months. You?d be surprise at how much the bulbs degrade in just 13 months. In your case I?d bet you?ve got a bad ballast. If you?ve got the yellowed plastic lens, I?d replace them with glass.
The whole fixture is only 6 months old with glass lens. I tried changing the bulb but it keeps going off and on, also it is not very bright when it is on.

Twodose

Reaction score
If you do need a ballast, I'd recommend 1000bulbs.com and order the Sola brand. So far they've been every bit as good as the Advance brand from Grainger and are a lot cheaper even with the shipping. They can special order the individual components of the ballast too - chances are you just need the capacitor, which is where the thermal protection is.
I had a problem in a different bay about 2 months ago. The light wouldn't come on at all and it was the capacitor.

I ordered a capacitor and ballast from KR, it was 69.99 and I don't think they are a direct replacement from Hubble, I believe they are universal so I think you may have to change the mounting bracket, I know the last one I got from KR had a round capacitor,the Hubble is oval shaped and larger.

I checked 1000bulbs.com, your right they are only 39.87 for a 4 tap, I only need 120v so could probably use that one. I am going to order one from there for a spare. Thanks :eek:
http://www.1000bulbs.com/175-Watt-Metal-Halide-Ballast/32378/

Rudy

Reaction score
There's nothing special about 10uf capacitors. I usually buy a bunch at a time for around 7-8 bucks apiece. I think you can get them on eBay.....or just do a Google search.

There are different voltage ratings.....but finding one's rated around 400 volts is usually the easiest. The case may be a different shape. I just find a appropriate anchor and zip tie it in place inside the fixture.

cherokee235

Reaction score
I just went through this with one of my Hubbels I bought from KR. I've never been able to get them to warranty anything. However, after arguing with them and getting nowhere, I contacted Hubbel directly. Hubbel gives a one year warranty. The ballast has a 2 year warranty, but not by Hubbel. I would suggest you open the fixture, get the number off the ballast and call the mfg directly. Skip Hubbel.

I finally got the ballast maker to send me a new ballast and capacitor, and to my surprise they paid the freight both ways. Now that is great service. I just hate to buy them from Kleenrite as I've had such poor customer service from them, and I have bought a lot of stuff from them.

Twodose

Reaction score
I received a credit from KR for a bad capacitor I had over the summer, it took them about 2 month's to get the credit.

I will try what you suggested, I didn't know about the 2 year warranty from the ballast mfg.

Dirt

Laser Blade
Reaction score
Make sure the ballast is wired correctly. Sometimes there shipped wired for 220. If you didn't switch any ballast wires, or check them, when you installed the fixtures, then thats your problem. I'm ashamed to say it, but I did that one time with 4 fixtures. It took a while to figure out what was wrong.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've done something similar. I changed a bad SS bay transformer that was upside-down, but I accidentally installed the new one right-side up. FYI, when you put 240V in to a 24V transfer output, you get 2400V out briefly, then smoke.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
FYI, when you put 240V in to a 24V transfer output, you get 2400V out briefly, then smoke.

Yep, and that smoke its factory installed, once it escapes out of the component you must install a new one. To make matters worse, most mfgs. to not cover "loss of smoke" on their warranties.

MEP001

Reaction score
Nor does it cover any of the timers/coin acceptors that release their factory smoke when 100 times the designed voltage is applied.

Twodose

Reaction score
I just went through this with one of my Hubbels I bought from KR. I've never been able to get them to warranty anything. However, after arguing with them and getting nowhere, I contacted Hubbel directly. Hubbel gives a one year warranty. The ballast has a 2 year warranty, but not by Hubbel. I would suggest you open the fixture, get the number off the ballast and call the mfg directly. Skip Hubbel.

I finally got the ballast maker to send me a new ballast and capacitor, and to my surprise they paid the freight both ways. Now that is great service. I just hate to buy them from Kleenrite as I've had such poor customer service from them, and I have bought a lot of stuff from them.
I called the # on the ballast which was Advance. The problem again the capacitor.

They did say they have a 2 year warranty from the manufactured date of the ballast which is stamped on the ballast, the capacitor is not there's, Hubble must have used Advance ballast and someone else's capacitor.

Twodose

Reaction score
Yes it was the capacitor.

I replaced all the lights in all bays this year with new ones, I was prepping all the lights before they were installed and tied off all the high power lines leaving only the 120v & common wires for hookup.

Thanks for your replies. :D