What's new

HP hose ends deteriorating

Stuart

Reaction score
I am having a problem with the interior hose barb on my HP hose ends rusting/deteriorating enough that the hose finally separates itself from the fitting under HP. This is happening at only one of two washes. The only change, in the past year at the problem wash is I started an RO reject recycle back into the hot water tank for the wash cycle about 9 months ago.
I use synflex swedge fittings for the hose ends with no problems until now. I have not started recycling at the other wash but ready to start in about a month.
Has anybody experienced or have heard of this problem with RO reject recycling?

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure your problem isn't from the reject recapture. The rusting is most likely caused by hard water.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
I’ve seen this before. Water seeps past the hose end’s barb and outer shell allowing water to come in contact with the hose’s braid. All due to loose crimping with incompatible hose/fitting combination and/or incorrect die used when assembling the hose.

Synflex ends are not truly compatible with steel braid hose.

Me thinks the RO reclaim addition and hose failure is coincidence.

Stuart

Reaction score
I have been running these fittings and hoses for 30+ years. The hose is not wire braid but a nylon reinforced braid hose- hose and ends are synflex brand.
The crimps are far from loose. I have had crimps and hose in the system Decades with no problems. (I have tried the wire braid on a couple bays with the screw on fittings and they lasted barely a couple years)

My second location is running the same hard water, weep, chemicals, pressure-everything and with no problems. Basically the only difference between the 2 locations is the 2nd location does twice the business.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
How sure are you that the hardness is the same going through the hoses at each location? Have you checked it? If the water is soft, you won't have this problem... The steel fittings are the only place for the ions to react...

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I use my r/o reject for a high pressure pre wash at my conveyor with no problems. I also use synflex hose and fittings. Have you checked the pH of your water?

Stuart

Reaction score
I finally got around to testing the water. Both locations are at 9 grains and ph is at ~ 6.4-6.6. ??

Stuart

Reaction score
I have softeners for wash water. Hard water rinse. I have had hard rinse since '86 at the location I am not having problems. Started hard rinse at the problem location 2 years ago. Using the same hose ends at both locations and have for years.
Started ro reclaim at problem location about 9 months ago. First occurrence started in November with the hose ends. I have stopped ro reclaim for now.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Something might have changed with the supply you're getting from your municipality and could be causing or aggravating your issue. Personally, I don't use hard water for anything but weep. All other functions are fed by soft water for a couple of reasons. First is to reduce/slow down any build up. The second is to provide a great wash experience as not all customers use spot free nor sham my their car when done.