What's new

How to wire relay for Rinse solenoid with wax ?

softsuds

Reaction score
Rinse output from rotary switch to rinse water solenoid.
Wax output from rotary switch to energize same rinse solenoid and wax solenoid.

How would you wire this ?
Brain isn't working tonight.

Anyone have a diagram ?

Thanks

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Wire rotary switch output for Rinse solenoid to rinse solenoid and to N.O. contact of relay. Wire Rotary switch output for wax to coil of relay and to wax solenoid. Wire 24VAC hot to common terminal (the wiper contact, NOT 24VAC common) on relay. This will make the wax selection pull in the relay and turn on the wax valve at the same time. When the relay pulls in, it will supply power to the rinse solenoid also.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I think my diagram is backwards from what JGinther said, I'd only do it this way because the relay will spend less time energized.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Now you have two ways to skin the same cat. I think either way is the same, since the relay is only being pulled in during wax cycle. It would probably be easier to see that if I drew a nice diagram, but I'm just not that helpful...:) BTW, I edited my post because I know where the confusion comes in... When someone says common, they can be talking about the (-) return line for a load, or they can be talking about the wiper on a spdt contact... Electricians should have made a different word for the two because the confusion will go on for ever...

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
How's This, Hand drawn but I think its what your after. Click Link Below....

http://bcoweb.com/photos/relay_rinse_wax.pdf

Same as above only worded differently, I had copied this from another post on the forum a while back:

Use a SPDT relay. You'll input the voltage for rinse to the NC on the relay, the wax function to the coil and looped to the NO contact. Then the output of the relay goes to your cold water solenoid. Whenever either function is selected the solenoid will get power with no cross-current between them.

MEP001

Reaction score
Yeah, I failed a bit on my labeling, but I was tired so I just grabbed a SPDT relay diagram and labeled it. The ones labeled "RINSE" and "WAX" are the signals coming from the rotary switch.

softsuds

Reaction score
Thanks so much.
No idea why I was having a complete blank moment on doing this. It's so simple.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Yeah, I failed a bit on my labeling, but I was tired so I just grabbed a SPDT relay diagram and labeled it. The ones labeled "RINSE" and "WAX" are the signals coming from the rotary switch.
NP....I understood your diagram, but wouldn't have before buying a CW! :) So I figured others might have the same problem. Hopefully now both diagrams make sense to those who don't know how to wire one. I just looked at my drawing again...I could have done better!

MEP001

Reaction score
Rinse output from rotary switch to rinse water solenoid.
Wax output from rotary switch to energize same rinse solenoid and wax solenoid.

How would you wire this ?
Brain isn't working tonight.

Anyone have a diagram ?

Thanks
Just to make sure you're aware, if your wax is in a gravity-feed tank and your pumps are fed cold water on rinse from city pressure, you won't be able to draw wax if you energize the rinse solenoid on that function.