What's new

How to self-audit credit card usage

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I installed Cryptopay recently. An unusual charge yesterday exposed that I don't have good auditing tools.

It appeared that a customer was overcharged. Over $20 in CC fees were collected, yet on replaying video I only saw the customer in the bay for about 18 minutes. Something did not look right.

Support staff at Cryptopay informed me the card was also swiped in another bay. So the customer may have gone home, gotten a second vehicle, and washed again without me knowing. Cryptopay only shows the time when the car was first swiped, and I had to contact them for further information. Which brings up my question.

Suppose a card is swiped, a customers washes their car, but the charge never gets to Cryptopay or Worldpay. How would I know?

Or, in this case, when I see a large CC fee collected, how can I, by myself, determine how that charge came about?

I have Dixmor LED-7 timers. At this time I'd be happy with just starting by putting non-resettable counters (only for CC charges) on each bay. Is that possible using the CC input lead on the timer? Or, by doing audits in other ways, if that is possible.

bert79

Reaction score
So we have had similar things come up in the one year that we have had Cryptopay installed. The large charges always make me curious. Do you have cameras? If you don't they are invaluable in verifying if the customer was charged correctly or if there is an actual issue that needs to be corrected. I have used them many many times to verify customer complaints and equipment malfunctions. I do find though that there are a lot of people that max out the cryptopay (ours are set to $15) and then use it again for $5-10 more. Also, a few folks like to use the SS and then the IBA so those add up too.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Yes, my camera system both helped me and confused me. The customer washed for about 18 minutes in Bay 2, so a $23 charge seemed to high. I did recently raise prices, but not that high!

It was only after calling Cryptopay that I learned the card was swiped for $10 (max) in Bay 2, then another $3 (min) in Bay 2, then for another $10 at some later time in a different wash bay.

In addition to wanting better audit tools for Cryptopay, I also want to find more customers like this one! :)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Just a thought ... our entry level ATM that we have had installed for over 7 years now ... it seems like has a lot more robust reporting of every speck of interaction with credit card usage. Just sharing an observation ... not wanting to butt heads with the 100% cashless proponents.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
It was only after calling Cryptopay that I learned the card was swiped for $10 (max) in Bay 2, then another $3 (min) in Bay 2, then for another $10 at some later time in a different wash bay.

In addition to wanting better audit tools for Cryptopay, I also want to find more customers like this one! :)
If you login at mycryptopay.com and cick on your recent purchases, you can click on the user's name it will give you a list of devices they used and how much they spent at each device.