What's new

How to clean the foam material on the brushes?

OhioKen

Reaction score
Anyone know what this black is on my foam washing material and how to clean it off? My thoughts is that is a type of mold as it starts as black dots and continues to grow. Getting it on both Belanger Neotex and Gallop brush material. I have tried dawn dishwashing liquid, Acidic soap, hi ph soap, bleach water, and house washing chemical with algae remover. We use mostly acidic lube soap after the car is coated with a hi ph presoak in our wash process.
IMG_6695.JPG

washnshine

Reaction score
Anyone know what this black is on my foam washing material and how to clean it off? My thoughts is that is a type of mold as it starts as black dots and continues to grow. Getting it on both Belanger Neotex and Gallop brush material. I have tried dawn dishwashing liquid, Acidic soap, hi ph soap, bleach water, and house washing chemical with algae remover. We use mostly acidic lube soap after the car is coated with a hi ph presoak in our wash process.
View attachment 6957
A lot of the chemicals you mentioned should do the trick - but the method is important too. Are you spraying on and rinsing off? Your best bet would be to remove from the brush and soak in a drum/tub whatever and then rinse thoroughly. More time consuming - yes, but much more thorough. Start by just taking one piece off and see which of your chemicals works best and then do the whole set.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Try to scrape it off. Had this with light colored foam. Seemed like the color was coming out and it was reverting to a natural state. No amount of cleaning will solve that.

MC3033

Reaction score
80% should power wash off but it takes some time (essentially holding one foam finger at a time and power washing with the other hand).

As far as chemicals go bleach has seemed best to remove the black stains

OhioKen

Reaction score
Bleach water mix and soaking on it overnight and power washing in the morning lightened amount of black spots. I have come to the thought it is mold and I should keep up after it before it starts to get bad.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If someone comes up with a way to clean that cloth easily they'll make good money. I've just about given up.

I do know a guy who changed chemical to qual chem and he claims over time that cloth self cleaned.

washnshine

Reaction score
High pH detergent and high pressure manifolds/prep guns before any friction wash material touches the car will help to keep it very clean. This is probably easier in an attended tunnel than for the operators with IBA’s , depending on what type of functions and pre-wash options the machine might have.

patkelly1336

Reaction score
We used to use a wall cleaning product that had hydrofluoric acid in it but we started spraying our brushes with Dawn Power Wash Dish Spray and then follow it up with some high pressure spray from our prep gun system which uses an alkaline presoak. It really does an amazing job at taking the black spots off of the brushes. We wash our tunnels down every evening and do a deep clean whenever it is raining or snowing. The Dish Spray also works great whenever you have oils or hydraulic fluid on the brushes.

Etowah