What's new

How to build IBA on your own

Etowah

Spotless

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I own a 4 bay SS car wash for 2 years now and was wondering how difficult is to build IBA on your own? Has anybody tried this? I am PhD student in Robotics and Automation, and am very familiar with PLCs and controllers and stuff like this. Will appreciate if any of you can give me some guidelines or even some technical schemes.

Thanks

Spotless

Reaction score
Just go look at some existing machines. You should be able to figure it out.
Well this is what I'm doing now, I'm analysing my existing IBA. But in this technical field, some technical schemes, or advice, really help. Maybe you know somebody that tried this?

MEP001

Reaction score
Well this is what I'm doing now, I'm analysing my existing IBA. But in this technical field, some technical schemes, or advice, really help. Maybe you know somebody that tried this?
The last one I know of who did that was X-Stream.

TSchmitz

Reaction score
Probably worth purchasing an old unit, such as a 4000. Then going through and redoing everything.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I own a 4 bay SS car wash for 2 years now and was wondering how difficult is to build IBA on your own? Has anybody tried this? I am PhD student in Robotics and Automation, and am very familiar with PLCs and controllers and stuff like this. Will appreciate if any of you can give me some guidelines or even some technical schemes.

Thanks
Spotless,

For the sake of understanding liability from your perspective; let's say you are successful ... by building your own you will no longer have any "partnering like" liability defense protection from the "turn key" manufacturer. It sounds like you have your own credentials for defending the safety of the individual components you tailor your system with ... but I wonder if some in our judicial system put their "finger in the air" in terms of "political clout" from a bigger manufacturer than yourself.

Don't get me wrong there is some risk with everything & probably you will be able to show you even went to greater lengths than the mainstream manufacturers when it came to safety. I am basing my comment on having used a Phoenix Contact safety certified PLC relay whereas the mainstream manufacturer did not. In my case it was with the controls on a laundromat piece of equipment. BTW, the manufacturer had a very discouraging $20K+ price tag on their version of the single piece of equipment.

Also FWIW I have flashback memories of mainstream manufacturers of using in writing upfront "CYA legalese" to protect themselves in terms of impractical inspection schedules etc. So that is something to consider it seems.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure there are a few car wash scientist Phd's out there....

However, with all due respect, what makes you think you can do better than the brilliant engineers / inventors who first invented and then perfected our modern-day automated car wash machinery?

Are you being arrogant or are you simply that brilliant? If you are that brilliant, then you are wasting your time to open a car wash. Don't you agree that you should put your talents to use in a way that more benefits humanity than creating more clean cars?

washnshine

Reaction score
If you were able to do this, I’m not even sure you could save money - compared to buying an existing machine. And if you did pull this off, by the time you design, acquire parts and materials, test, manufacturer and install your home-made machine, you would have left a lot of profit on the table that you could have pocketed had you just put something in your bay that could be delivered and up and running in a month or so.

Good luck and if you end up doing this, post some pics of your new machine in operation.

mac

Reaction score
Hello spotless. I’m a little surprised at some of the responses. Usually we take it easy on new members. I can understand their attitude though as this comes up regularly. The mechanics and electronics are pretty much straightforward. There are other factors involved that complicate things. I say this after having done major rebuilds on 20 or 30 machines over the years. Things like knowing water quality, chemical mixing and delivery, integration with entry systems, customer appeal (it better look nice and put on a show), and what happens when something breaks. And trust me, not all the legacy manufacturers get this right. There used to be a show on PBS many years ago called Connections. It traced the development of technology over time. It struck me how many times tech was improved by people in unrelated fields. So don’t be dissuaded. A while ago I quoted a new machine to a guy who thought he was really smart. He said hell I can build something for one quarter of that. So he did. About a month later was watching the evening news. Story was about a guy who got his car destroyed at a car wash. Yup, same place. Something happened and the machine fell over, blew out the windshield, all occupants thourghly drenched by water and glass, with the woman and kids screaming, and our intrepid designer denying any blame. Went and poured myself a nice Scotch. Good luck.

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
I've worked for many years in the aerospace manufacturing field. I've repaired and designed machines from scratch. I've never tried to design and build my own IBA but I have tried to extend the life of and augment my "retro" magic spray. I've only owned the wash for 4 months but through the repairs I've made, the customers have stated that it's working the best in years. All I did was repair leaks, replace bypassed pumps, and upgrade chemicals. Having a few wiring issues because of old cabling, but working on replacing them.
Even trying to augment newer things like foam arches, dryers to my unit is a hassle. The PLC is "antique" and proprietary and can't read or rewrite ladder logic. Just getting the software to read it is more expensive then getting a whole new wash system. If all washes used like Allen-Bradley PLC's then you would not have to call their own service techs. That's there profit center, you have to call them.
Maybe instead of trying to make your own wash, you can instead try to help older washes keep up. Replace the older PLC's, figure out a way to add features to old washes and other things.