What's new

How Often Do You Change Nozzles?

bneckrock

Bill Neckrock
Reaction score
I just attended a Spraying Systems seminar at the Midwest Carwash Show. Of course they want to sell nozzles, but I was wondering how often you change the nozzles on your IBAs?

There are lots of nozzles on my IBA and at least six different types for the different functions. Even if they are relatively inexpensive, per nozzle, they can add up.

I'm trying to get an idea how other owners handle this problem (perceived or real).

MEP001

Reaction score
I will change them when I notice a loss in pressure, but I believe it takes a lot longer for an IBA to erode its tips than it does in a self-serve bay. I've seen no signs of erosion in three years so far, but the bays get changed every 2-3 months.

MEP001

Reaction score
Washmechanic said:
We change annually for both the Ibas and self serve
You might consider doing a test with water flow in your self serves, and you'll be amazed at how much the flow will increase with tips that are a year old.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I just attended a Spraying Systems seminar at the Midwest Carwash Show. Of course they want to sell nozzles, but I was wondering how often you change the nozzles on your IBAs?

I change all nozzles annually.
How was the MCA show? I was out of town and could not attend.

dpessler

Reaction score
Do the plastic tips used for my presoak wear also? Thanks! Doug

bneckrock

Bill Neckrock
Reaction score
The MCA show seemed smaller in attendance. It took me an hour to see what I wanted to see. Given the economy and the lack of new building, that wasn't surprising.

Of course, that was just one man's observation. I wasn't there long enough to really judge the attendance. Booth space did look smaller.

Easy Clean

4+1 Owner/Operator
Reaction score
but the bays get changed every 2-3 months.
Why so often? Do you begin to lose pressure? I have some nozzles that have been in service for 2 years with no noticable loss of performance. Are you concerned with increased water usage?

MEP001

Reaction score
Easy Clean said:
Why so often?
Definitely an increase in water usage - it takes a while before there's a drop in performance, but a 30-second bucket fill test showed as much as a half-gallon per minute increase in flow after just two months.

motefam

ss/iba midwest
Reaction score
I have always tried to change once per year. This year I changed all the tips in the wash at my 3ss/2IBA, and even installed smaller tips (the IMEG tips) in the automatics to save water, after going to one of the nozzle seminars. I measured water consumption per car at the water meter after the change for a month and was amazed that there was almost no measurable difference! I couldn't believe it. Maybe 1% savings in gallons per car...?

MEP001

Reaction score
Automatic tips wear much slower than self-serve because there isn't nearly as much overall flow through them, and because they usually have the hardened MEG tips. On a busy Saturday one of our self-serve pumps can easily rack up 6 hours, whereas the auto I would estimate will get a maximum of 1 hour of high-pressure run.