What's new

How many cars do you guys wash a day?

NeutralNoBrakes

Reaction score
Hello,
We hit around 600-800 on good days, especially weekends. On slow days, we see around 200-300.
What kind of numbers do you guys see at your washes?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
This can vary widely by facility and weather, Rain day can be zero. If the stars align 2000.

washnshine

Reaction score
Also makes a big difference if these are club members or unique, single visit one-time wash purchases.

jfmoran

Reaction score
I've been involved with sites that do the kind of volume you describe as well as sites that do twice the volume you are describing.

DippyFresh

Reaction score
Out of our 11 hour days:

On a good day? 600 - 800

On a rainy day? (which has been almost every day in Florida right now) 150 - 250

Note that we also run a multiple person prep area pre-tunnel and a hand dryer at the end, don't get them in and out as fast as some.

patkelly1336

Reaction score
Sorry for late response. On most days, each location will wash approximately 300 to 500 cars. Our record at one location is 1,079 cars in 16 hours. We are running two belt conveyors and one chain conveyor.

jtownathan

Reaction score
Sorry for late response. On most days, each location will wash approximately 300 to 500 cars. Our record at one location is 1,079 cars in 16 hours. We are running two belt conveyors and one chain conveyor.
What was the cost difference between having a belt conveyer or the chain type conveyer? Assuming you had your washes built. I understand the conveyor belt is more expensive, but have also heard that you save money in concrete by the reduced dimensions of the conveyor pit.

washnshine

Reaction score
What was the cost difference between having a belt conveyer or the chain type conveyer? Assuming you had your washes built. I understand the conveyor belt is more expensive, but have also heard that you save money in concrete by the reduced dimensions of the conveyor pit.
I don’t know the price difference because I have never had a belt, but I know a few operators who have had the belts removed and gone to traditional conveyors. One is Tom Hoffman of Hoffman Car Wash.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Belts cost 3X what an over/under conveyor will cost.

The pit for a belt is much larger than an over/under conveyor, while there may be some "cost reduction" in the volume of concrete needed, the added dimensions for the conveyor and additional forming that is needed, will likely offset any "cost savings" from using less concrete.

Pictures below are of an over/under that was converted to a belt.

Attachments

jtownathan

Reaction score
Belts cost 3X what an over/under conveyor will cost.

The pit for a belt is much larger than an over/under conveyor, while there may be some "cost reduction" in the volume of concrete needed, the added dimensions for the conveyor and additional forming that is needed, will likely offset any "cost savings" from using less concrete.

Pictures below are of an over/under that was converted to a belt.
I could see the cost of retrofitting being higher, but I suspect those numbers would be much more reasonable if it were planned during the build. The pit is wide but appears to be very shallow. I've also read that the belt conveyor may very well become necessary as these newer vehicles utilize these advanced braking features.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Cost of a belt and install is 3X the cost of a standard conveyor, whether it's a new build or retro-fit, the concrete work cost is outside of the cost for the conveyor or belt.

Belts have their pluses and minuses, advanced braking systems are a challenge, however, belts have a challenge when it comes to wheel cleaning and tire shine. Without the wheel rotating doing both of these things is a challenge with a belt.

MC3033

Reaction score
I’m sure they are out there but out of the dozen or so operators I’ve spoken to with belts non have really endorsed it. I typically get a vague response that includes “it is part of our brand now” or “now our customers expect it”.

Belts are far less forgiving if you do not perform maintenance to a tee. In addition to the 2x-3x up front cost (note that you can user a slightly shorter belt and have the same amount of actual wash space (unless you prep)) you have a significant increase in maintenance cost. I’ve heard of higher volume sites spending $30k+ a year on a belt easily. I would estimate the equivalent conveyor at around $12k over a 5+ year period at higher volumes

jtownathan

Reaction score
I’m sure they are out there but out of the dozen or so operators I’ve spoken to with belts non have really endorsed it. I typically get a vague response that includes “it is part of our brand now” or “now our customers expect it”.

Belts are far less forgiving if you do not perform maintenance to a tee. In addition to the 2x-3x up front cost (note that you can user a slightly shorter belt and have the same amount of actual wash space (unless you prep)) you have a significant increase in maintenance cost. I’ve heard of higher volume sites spending $30k+ a year on a belt easily. I would estimate the equivalent conveyor at around $12k over a 5+ year period at higher volumes
Wow. I guess that makes my decision much easier in that regard then. I'm assuming once they become a necessity, the technology will have improved enough to make it worth the investment. Sounds like we're just not there yet.