What's new

How long will the covid19 virus be around...

Twodose

Reaction score
So this guy Micheal Osterholm was on CNN and made a statement that the 1918 pandemic wasn't just in 1918, it lasted until 1920 until 70 to 80% of the population had the virus and had immunities before it started to slow down. I understand that the technology is better 100 years later, but I suppose people traveled less back then, and I think this will be the case for this one also unless they come up with a vaccine in reasonable amount of time.
Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

Wash4Life

Reaction score
This is going to be a virus that ebbs and flows. The question is whether we attain herd immunity first through most people getting it or a vaccine.

I'm curious as to what the federal and local governments are going to do to make sure the next flow that follows doesn't cripple the country.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Agree with above, it's going to be an issue for a while. These two and four week orders will not stomp it out.

My bet is that the public will be ready to riot if they attempt to continue shelter in place indefinitely. I give it another Month or so before we collectively lose patience and demand life get back to a sense of normalcy. Shelter in place for older and at risk people would allow everyone else to get back to work.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I personally tend to be encouraged from watching the key experts that Dr OZ taps into from countries all over this planet earth ... as he is dedicating most of his daily shows to the Covid 19 solutions. I personally share the belief in potential for some silver linings.

Some of the negativity from "woopee dee do" professor-experts similar to Osterholm can potentially be a bit too self-fulfilling for horrors for my taste!

I honestly believe that some of the negativity is "political-personal agenda motivated". The more "systemic" patterns that are properly balanced & addressed the better off all of humanity will be. It takes the best possible combination of leaders who are willing to "set aside their selfishness" for the greater good!

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I always thought that elderly and those with compromised health should stay home.

Everyone else goes back to work with masks, gloves, glasses and with the understanding to wash their hands diligently, use hand sanitizer always, and exercise proper hygiene.

This economic shit down and "shelter in place" has no end in sight! They keep extending dates and forecasts. How much damage are we doing to our economy and how long, if EVER will it come back?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Agree with above, it's going to be an issue for a while. These two and four week orders will not stomp it out.

My bet is that the public will be ready to riot if they attempt to continue shelter in place indefinitely. I give it another Month or so before we collectively lose patience and demand life get back to a sense of normalcy. Shelter in place for older and at risk people would allow everyone else to get back to work.
Greg Pack & others,

Good points about the civil disorder rioting potential.

Hey ... like the other night I "without warning" woke up flaying & even screaming a bit from a "DollarCoin-Covid19 related" nightmare. Like ... man ... I am pretty sure (not very consoling) that some of my fellow small business persons also share some "'for real' mental health problems" like ... not just me & the "homeless walking time bombs" .... no place to go with counselors & jails a bit overwhelmed with overcrowding dilemmas???!!!

My Vietnam Veteran brother ... who I have partnered with for over 20 years ... putting in a relatively large vegetable garden together in my backyard ... also has "flashback" problems. He is more like "Mac" when it comes to being a "firearms expert" so there might be more potential there though ... hopefully not ... as long he is not provoked beyond his threshold-flashpoint???!!! When William Pitzer stopped in for a nifty visit a few moons ago ... it was during harvest time so I made sure Bill had a bunch of freshly picked produce "for free" on his journey back to the Tri-Cities in the State of Washington.

It is not like all of us carwash owners & even laundromat owners have total control ... when it comes to ... if not gov't policies ... maybe banking policies ... that very might become a trigger for civil unrest ... not sure???!!!

BTW ... Yesterday afternoon early evening about 6:20 PM CDT ... at the liquor store exit across the street from our car wash a young lady (20s-athletic?) ran out. The klutzy manager ran after her as he was on the phone with the local PD ... she had on loose gym pants & quickly "mooned" him as she ran off into a nearby large apartment building. Why the "Good Lord" let me see this "deeply sad" occurrence ... I will never know???!!!

Now you know why ... I am careful "to the extreme" to not unnecessarily tick off any PETA Celebrities on how we run our "extra humane & considerate" self service dog wash!!!

BTW ... my dad (born in 1910 WWII VET) was also a "Lifetime Peace Officer" who told me the vivid recount of what he witnessed "first hand" when at the nearby "about 2 miles from our facility" ND STATE PRISON (long time ago riot) occurred. If it was not for the "Courageous Prison Warden" who "Put His Own Life At Risk" talking down the "Real Life Violent Enmasse Rioters" the consequences would have been much worse!!!!

I am reminded of the leader of a homeless pack of about 7 or 8 from the "nightmare nearby shelter" loitering in our laundromat-car wash drying area parking lot the election year of 2016. When I told them that was not allowed ... someone in the group took the lead & led them away down the road. As they got on the street walking ... the leader hollered out real loud so everyone could hear: "ON THE COUNT OF THIS ... NONE OF US ARE VOTING REPUBLICAN" ... I do agree with his approach ... since I happen to a person who does not give any party a "blank check" ... nor do I give the banking industry lawyers a "blank check" &/or hopefully not the "equivalent 'weakened state' a blank check"

Last edited:

traveler17

Reaction score
So this guy Micheal Osterholm was on CNN and made a statement that the 1918 pandemic wasn't just in 1918, it lasted until 1920 until 70 to 80% of the population had the virus and had immunities before it started to slow down. I understand that the technology is better 100 years later, but I suppose people traveled less back then, and I think this will be the case for this one also unless they come up with a vaccine in reasonable amount of time.
Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.
Osterholm is an intelligent man, but, CNN is having him on for a reason. Exactly like MJWalsh said, if he was vetted as having any sort of positive outlook he wouldn’t be on.

Etowah

johnny

johnny
Reaction score
If you thought dogs were hard to train,look at the humans that can’t sit and stay

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Osterholm is an intelligent man, but, CNN is having him on for a reason. Exactly like MJWalsh said, if he was vetted as having any sort of positive outlook he wouldn’t be on.
Osterholm is calling the Surgeon-General irresponsible "lulling" the general public. Time will tell ... Osterholm has also said that the non N95 masks are worthless as if there is not some physical barrier gain. The issue seems to be mostly how much credence is given to the aerosol factor.

Wash4Life

Reaction score
I just learned the latest 60,000 projection is based off of the current policies being in place until August 4. I don't see that happening.