What's new

How is the Recession treating you?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My detail biz does not seem to be adversely affected by the recession the US is in, though a local tool mfg. laid off 60 workers this week.

How about the rest of you detailers?

How is 2009 Spring shaping up for your detail shop?

My 2008 was the best year, net profit wise, for me since 1996, which was the result of streamlining operations, better employee training, attention to efficiencies throughout the detail shop operation, and shopping for bargains in everything from insurance to tar remover!

Mitch

Reaction score
I can't really speak for detailing, but as far as ss and iba's go, I have had more trouble with the weather than the economy. When the sun it out, they wash.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's good Bill, but by the looks of it there could be more detailers on here!

Maybe they're too busy applying wax and polish to type stuff!:eek:

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Apparently, there is a detailer's forum which allow self promotion and bashing. Obviously, that don't work well. Also detailers appear to be quite a disconnected group and don't have a lot of time to use a forum.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I put a sign up advertising that I would be doing some express detailing on the weekends....HOLY CRAP! I wasn't planning on taking appointments, but I was inundated with requests and now I have a full weekend of detailing on the first weekend I am offering the service. It's crazy!

I'm sure I will be posting here like crazy to get some of the tips and tricks you guys have.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
good luck; you're going to be very tired!:p

my express aftercare program is going well and gaining momentum. i'm advertising express as well as carwash and detail services. so far my mini detail is most popular; carwash, vac and windows for $39.99.:D

many of my customers will make appointments for express.

if yours will too, maybe you should do some full details as well if you are able to price them to make money as well as implement full-detail procedures using the proper equipment.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
One observation on my part is I think that you should make it very clear what you are giving and what you are not. IMO detailing a car could have many different expectations.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yes; it's tricky and try as I may, some people cannot differentiate between services very well. Many think a full detail should only require an hour or so at my shop. Worked on a very dirty Camry today; smoker car, etc. Woman asked for it back at noon. I pushed her back until 2pm. Keep in mind we vacuum, pre-spot, wash and dress vinyl, extract all fabric and carpeting, wash glass, etc.

you need to keep preceived value in line w/price and quality. easier said than done.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
That is one thing that I have tried to make clear to the people that have made appointments. It definitely seems like an uphill battle though. We'll see. I'm excited!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
who will be detailing the cars and trucks and minivans?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I will be doing the detailing to start. I want to get some processes in place before I just hand the reins over to someone else. There is a quality standard that I want to make sure that I can achieve and from there I can train my detailing guys....plus there is a ton of stuff for me to learn. I can clean a car, but that doesn't mean I know how to detail. Just like with anything, there will be a learning curve, but I'm not scared. :)

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
All I can say is wow! If this weekend was any indication, I will have another full time job. I have three full details, 2 shampoo jobs and 1 boat detail to do this weekend, on top of offering the express services that we do on the fly. I have a lot to learn though. Wow! I'm really excited with the response this far.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Email me if you want to talk pricing, procedures and chems for detail. I've actually, after 20 years, figured out how to make a little money at this!:D

tlcaris

Reaction score
tlcaris

Just getting bacl to this forum after being gone 2-3 years. My car wash numbers are down substantially due to weather/recession in my area (MN). The idea of adding a detail side has always appealed to me as a way to differentiate me from competition. I have an exterior only tunnel wash. I have an employee taking money in a seperate coffee shop island and an employee preppiing vehicles. Not wanting to add labor cost kept me from adding an express detail option. I'm interested in the "express detail" by appt on weekends. How did that work out?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's good to have multiple profit centers.

It can work out if you always look to buy your supplies as economically as possible w/out sacrificing quality and pay a wage that attracts good employees whom you properly train and then implement a system of quality control and inspections.

Couple these above ideas with a highly-efficient system of detailing, dispensing chemicals and taking appointments and doing regular reminder calls and spinkle in ample amounts of passion for detailing yourself and you just may make money detailing.